Profile Modeler

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tim Sadler
Company Name: Peconic River Woodworks

Profile Modeler

Post by Tim Sadler »

I'm pretty new at using the modeler and of course i had to start with something a little harder (i think). As you can see
in e-cabs photo the center is cut out, but when i cut the part on the CNC the center was not cut out. My only option
in the P.M. OF course is region and perimiter cuts. Does the center have to be cut out in control nesting as a pocket,
or do i have to cut it in two pieces? Ive tried to cut the center out as another profile with a strait tool, but the cut path
starts outside the part and woun't do it because it says that it will cut the part in two pieces.
Im not giving up can anyone help.
Attachments
Moulding Profile.jpg
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: Profile Modeler

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

A piece like that is harder to do. The best thing to do would be to first make sure the tool group you want to use in the profile modeler is set as the defult group in the settings. Once you've done that, if you have CN with PM, you can then just load it in CN like a normal piece. Go into the settings and make sure under mdf door options, the custom tool is turned off. Now you should be able to nest it and cut it as it looks. Verify the code by graphing it first.
Tim Sadler

Post by Tim Sadler »

Thanks Daniel Ill give it a try monday mourning. let ya know how it turns out.
I coul'nt take the suspence anymore and got it done by using a DXF file Outline & Centerline,and
just eyeballed centering the piece. It worked ok but i knew there was a better way.
Tim Sadler

Post by Tim Sadler »

Good mourning Daniel:
The file woun't load in CN. It loads just fine in PM and I can see the file in CN but it woun't load. I even deleted it and reloaded in the CNC files but it
just woun't open. I can open other files in CN fine.
Tim Sadler

Post by Tim Sadler »

Got it to work !!
All in the Profile Modeler. The part is 1/2 high 5/8 wide 7 1/4 outside radius from a 15x15 piece of mdf board stock. Part Editor/contour mode, created a
7 1/4" Dia. circle then offset another circle 1" inside that one. back to part editor removed the inside w/(cut/pocket using geometric shapes), and then the
outside using (creat part using closed contour). Saved the part, then went back to the part editor,created toolpath on center radius first, whitch will create
region #1. Offset the 3/8 strait bit 3/8 and used depth of cut 1/2",That created the inside circle.Then used a 1" ballnose tool on the outside radius (centerline
no offset) 1/2" depth and by the time it cut the radius down to the table it was barely touching the part, so no need for two sided tape or anything.
VERY COOL!