SYS0038 -- The system cannot find the COM4 device (thm.exe)

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Alfred Monticello
Company Name: Alfred Monticello

SYS0038 -- The system cannot find the COM4 device (thm.exe)

Post by Alfred Monticello »

I have an ancient OS/2 Warp machine running Thermwood control software. I recently had a crash and reloaded the software, but when I launch into the control software, this is the message I get:

System Error - thm
The system cannot find the COM4 device

Does anyone know how to fix this? My guess is my COM ports have jumped around. Is there a place where I can set a different COM port?

Thanks.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: SYS0038 -- The system cannot find the COM4 device (thm.exe)

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Alfred,

Sorry to hear you are having this trouble. In OS/2, IRQ sharing is not allowed, and this is what is generating your issue. The motherboard supports Plug-n-play that has decided to move your network card (or some other device) to IRQ of 11 (IRQ 10 and 11 are reserved for COM PORT 3 and 4 respectively).

If you will send or post the Serial number of the machine, I will give you more detailed instructions on how you might to solve this issue.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN PERFORMING PROCEDURES BELOW

Now, I will give you a simple solution that might just get you going quickly based on the limited information I have currently available.

At this point, there is not a lot to go on as to why you are getting this error. I have seen this the most when the machine has a network card in it. Assuming this is the problem, try to move the network card to an alternate slot on the motherboard and see if this does not change the IRQ to get you going. (CAUTION, be sure to protect the feed modules by covering them so that you cannot drop the screw down into the vent hole.)

If this works, great, problem solved. If not, well, give me some more information and I will direct you on how to solve this.

I will be glad to help further if you need.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Alfred Monticello
Company Name: Alfred Monticello

Post by Alfred Monticello »

Ok, I managed to get passed the error. I found that there were some COM lines in the config.sys for COM3 and COM4 that I copied back into C:\\CONFIG.SYS. There are three COMs
that I could find (MOUSE on COM1, and the two lines for COM3 & COM4 on IRQ 10 & 11).

Now the Thermwood software starts, but I get an M02 line at the bottom and I can't bring the machine out of ESTOP.

In the BIOS, I have PnP Disabled, and COM PORT A is set to COM1 IRQ4 and COM PORT B is set to COM2 IRQ3.

Is this correct? I have a mouse on one COM port, and the Thermwood remote on the other.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your help!
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

There should be a RED e-Stop button on the front of the control panel. You need to be sure this is released. To release, you turn to the Right and it should pop out. Once this has been done, you select NC RESET once and wait for e-Stop bar to clear at top of screen, once the e-Stop bar clears then press NC RESET again and then select BLOCK STEP (-) to HOME machine. The M02 states end of program. At this point you will need to have a good understanding of control setup and programming to continue.