Flip Ops First

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Daniel Bell
Company Name: Central City Millworks

Flip Ops First

Post by Daniel Bell »

I am new to using flip ops first and was hoping to get a little insight.
I have read through some of the older posts and found them very helpful, but have a few more questions
Thanks in advance for any advice!

What is the advantage/difference of trimming two or three sides?

Have yall tried using your own pre-set fixture offsets vs G901/G902? Is this not recommended?

My flip ops are ending up offset 1/8 of an inch on my finished piece and I just cant figure out why.

Settings I am checking are my nesting parameters, fixture offsets and course the flip ops dialogue.

Thanks again,

Daniel Bell
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Re: Flip Ops First

Post by JohnLashuay »

Daniel Bell wrote:What is the advantage/difference of trimming two or three sides?
We have only ever used the 2 edge trim. I haven't seen the advantage of a 3 edge trim. I guess the advantage of 2 edge vs. 3 edge is the less time to mill, unless someone else has an idea.
Daniel Bell wrote:My flip ops are ending up offset 1/8 of an inch on my finished piece and I just cant figure out why.
What CN update are you running? I believe there was a fix for something like this in 5.59.

-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Daniel Bell

Post by Daniel Bell »

I just downloaded the latest version the other day.
Daniel Bell

Post by Daniel Bell »

I am feeling more sure after reading more that this has to do with my fixture offset locations for sheet and flip ops. Do these have to be two different locations?
Or at least two different codes?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Daniel,

I am very new to this but have had great success with flip ops first. We are just trimming the pin location. I don't think there would be a different fixture offset for flip ops first. It would be the G901 for sheet stock, front and back.
Just my 2cents. I don't have enough experience to help much.

Are you trimming the sheet? I could see problems might occur if you didn't.

Kerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

What machine do you have and what year is it? What type of pins on the side and end? I was having a similar issue with my machine and first decided to replace the old style pins with some that we made. Then I had to blockstep+ through the M999 macro and adjust the table offsets.

Forrest
Daniel Bell

Post by Daniel Bell »

We have the M45 model and are actually not using the pins but a metal angle fence.

Im glad you said that because I am about to go into the m999 macro and change both g902 and 901 to that start point of my angle bracket.

Thanks for all the responses! I hope i can gain enough knowledge to provide some feedback eventually!
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Daniel,

It seems that you simply need to reset your G52 offset location, that it is off by .125". It is easy to use a .25 bit when finding this location, then forget to add the .125 for radius of cutter before recording actual offset...

Regarding the trim 3 sides option, I'm not real sure on application for this. The trim 2 is most common, else the PIN area only (will save some cut time).
Daniel Bell

Post by Daniel Bell »

Ok, I will definitely check that.

I assume this means that there is no issue with using a different fixture offset than the default g901and2 and also in having sheet and flip ops set to the same offset location?

thanks again
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Correct, it makes no difference as long as you have the offset values in their respective places on the controller.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

the deal with 2 different locations is that the vacuum pressure is better a few inches into the spoil board than it is right on the corner. But as Kerry mentioned if you use cut flip ops first the two different locations are not necessary
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram