Help with Inset, Applied and Furniture Carvings

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Help with Inset, Applied and Furniture Carvings

Post by Kerry Fullington »

No problems in eCabinets but when I create a part and add an inset carving I get the following error when i try to open the .twd in the Thermwood Desktop.
error.jpg
error.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 10269 times
I want to set up tooling for some upcoming inset carvings and would like to test run them.

Any suggestions?
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Help with Inset, Applied and Furniture Carvings

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Kerry,

I you could, please email a copy of your original eCabinet design, then a copy of the design file with inset carving, along with the EXPORT file from Control Nesting. Also state which inset carving you are applying. Email to: program@thermwood.com

Thanks!
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Kerry,

The twd File is an empty file. Nothing is being put into it. I looked at your part, and it looks like you made the piece from a face frame and the material is board stock not sheet stock. The software will not nest and sut board stock. I have verified that ecabinets can and does add carvings to sheet stock and that Control Nesting does read them correctly. Chandge the board stock to sheet stock and I'm sure it will work correctly.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Daniel,

I will give it a try but you are telling me that in eCabinets
If I want to add an Inset Carving to the top rail of a face frame cabinet I have to use sheet stock for that top rail?

If I want to use on of the Furniture Network Carvings I must nest them using sheet stock?

Kerry
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry...
He is telling you that you need to tell the software that your 4/4 by 6 by 96" OAK (for example) face frame top rail is a sheet stock. Then it will nest and cut.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Correct.

Ecabinets will only nest sheet stock. Board stock is not nested. You can go into the face frame construction settings and change the material from board stock to sheet stock for this reason.
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry...
Watch the nest diagrams when you do this as if you are not careful and dont have a unique material for the piece to accept the carving, eCabs will want to nest and cut the rest of the face frames. Then you will find out why we dont want to nest board stock!

CNC = Hardware Made to follow numeric instructions.
Software is "Made to be tricked". If it wasnt made to be tricked, it would be hardware. :mrgreen:
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I think I have everyone confused about what I am trying to accomplish.
I know that I cannot nest board stock and I don't mind creating the part using sheet stock but it is not the part that is the problem, it is the inset carving. That part is from this reception desk.
desk.jpg
While drawing this desk I chose an inset carving and placed it on the part and scaled it the way i want it to cut. The problem is even when created on sheet stock, the part has no carving on it when nested in Control Nesting.

When outsourcing something like this I want all the information in the .twd I send to the shop. I don't want the shop to have to find the part and try to scale and place the carving (using the carving library at the control) just as I have already done in eCabinets.

My question is if I place an inset carving on a part in eCabinets, should that carving show up in the .twd I create for that cabinet (part)?

Kerry
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

The carving name and information is in the twd file. The actual carving nc file must be stored on the controller before Control Nesting can use it. You do not see the actual carving on the piece in CN either. You see a small arrow indicatinig that the carving is located there. In the code, CN sets the scalling and all of the other information for the carving and then passes that onto the carving file.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Here is the actual information that is put in the code and a pic of what the CN screen looks like with a carving applied.

( Sheet: 1, Part: 1, Name: Back, Material: 3/4 Generic)
G79 Z0
M5
(***Carving: RP-FI-PL0011***)
(name,xscale,yscale,zscale,ch dev,rotate,translate,zclearance,wasteboard,zshift)
[RPCALL "RP-FI-PL0011",1.00,1.00,1.00,0.005,-90.00,17.515,14.585,0.375,0.250,0.750,""]
example.PNG
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Daniel,

That tells me what I needed to know. I was confused because when I nested the part with the carving there were only 202 lines of code. I didn't see the call for the carving. The arrow for the carving was also showing up on my off-fall instead of the part
carving_01.jpg
but I discovered that was because I had Flip Ops first selected.

Thanks for the help.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Daniel,

One other issue.

If I try to nest this part with a carving created using a Display Panel it completely locks up Control Nesting. I can't even open the Task Manager, have to do a hard shutdown on the computer.

I have attached the part and the twd I created.
Attachments
Daniel.zip
(430.09 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

It certainly does lock it up. I have looked at the file and have passed it to the software engineers for them to find out what exactly is happening. I will post the findings when I receive them. Thanks.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Kerry,

The issue seems to stem from it being a display panel. If you use a cabinet that only has a back, it will work correctly. The issue is now known and listed to be repaired in future releases of ecabinets. Thank you.