Door Profiling

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Door Profiling

Post by jason galbraith »

We are just in the process of getting out machine upgraded with the new Qcore super control. What I need to know is, we are planning to be able to profile our own MDF doors. The sales agent here in Australia told me that we could do this straight away with Ecabs and the new controller, but I need to know for sure.

regards

Jason
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Door Profiling

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

It will be interesting to see if the new control will allow more advanced MDF Door production than is already in the eCabinets software. I am still trying to get my head around PanelMetrix. I hope to have it up and running before fall.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

The profile modeler has not had any recent upgrades as far as capabilities are concerned. You can find the latest version and user manual at the following links:

Manual:
http://www.thermwood.com/twood_site/pag ... manual.pdf

Update:
http://www.thermwood.com/updates_profile_modeler.htm
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Ryan,

Jason,

eCabinets has always had the ability to model MDF doors but they are "Modeled". You can't create multiple tool paths and assign specific tools to follow each of those paths like some of the MDF door production software that is available. You create a tool in eCabinets and that tool is used to model the doors. It works but is not as fast as the other way. It doesn't sound like this has been changed on the new control. Modeling may work for you but you might dig into this a little deeper so you are not disappointed.

Kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Kerry,
You do have the ability to create toolpaths for up to 2 custom tools with profile modeler / CN.
In the settings screen in control nesting, click the MDF Door Tools button and you can set up two custom tools which will be called and used for specific operations.
It's very quirky the way it works, but it does work once understood.
The interior tool will follow the first toolpath / profile that was applied to the part, the exterior tool will follow the second toolpath / profile that was applied to the part.
If you were to use a cabinet back for modelling a MDF doof, this still applies.
You must set up the custom tools in tooling setup with the same name as the .tol file that was used to apply the profile to the part (I don't know why this matters but it does).
You must also set up those tools in Profile Modeler tooling setup to assign their tooling properties, such as feed speeds, max pen, RPM, stepover, shape, etc.
Keep in mind that the order of profiling in ecabinets is important.
If there is a third "region" or profile applied to the part, then it will be modelled with the default tool group that is set up in Profile Modeller.

I really wish the ability to sharpen the corners of a mitered profile, such as in a cabinet door, was available. This could speed up MDF door production by 70% or better - allowing one to run the profile on all the sticking with a single pass, then clean up ONLY the miters (corners) with whatever tool or tool group was set up such as an 1/8" ball and 1/8" flat tool. Profile modeller is also not smart enough to use a big tool in conjunction with a smaller tool to ONLY clean up the areas left over in the corners from the larger tool. These would be the most useful features in my opinion.
Hope this is helpful,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Josh,
You do have the ability to create tool paths for up to 2 custom tools with profile modeler / CN.
That is true but with only two paths on most doors there would still be too much modeling. From his post it sounds like Jason is expecting more. This is the door I am trying to match right now.
PICT0003.jpg
My friend Keith has been successfully making these doors on his PTP but it is one door at a time. I am hoping that nesting them will greatly improve production (and quality). Modeling won't accomplish that. Modeling mdf doors in eCabinets will work great for my needs but it won't for his.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Kerry
Did you buy panel matrix? and how much was it?
Thanks Will
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Kerry,
Call me if you want to talk strategy for those doors. I have ideas to speed things up. (but maybe you've thought of them already)
If ecabs / CN had the capacity for more than two custom tools then a lot more flexibility and power would be added to this feature (HINT.. HINT.. TWD)
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Will,

I am doing this for a shop in Amarillo that has Panelmetrix. I don't know what it cost. HERE is a link to their pricing page for reference. Keith got the Base Package.

Josh,

I think that PanelMetrix is going to do a great job. I just haven't had time to implement it yet.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Kerry,
That sounds great, I don't know anything about Panelmetrix but perhaps I should research it! I hope it works well for you and produces a good result. Efficiency is the name of the game when there's a lot of 'em to do for sure.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400