Control Nesting V8

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Control Nesting V8

Post by jason galbraith »

Ok, so we got our control upgraded (well partly :roll: , I'll go into further details if the rest of the upgrade doesn't get fixed real soon....) Anyway I'm guessing we are a kind of a guinea pig, and I've come up with a few problems that need attention.

Label printing - before there was an option to only print labels that had barcodes. We use this feature a lot and it is now missing. Please give it back.
Offalls - on the previous settings screen we could turn off offalls ( to save the piece being trimmed around - waste of time) and it would still print barcoded labels for the offall. Now we have to have offalls turned to get the label and it trims the offall(wastes time).
When Nesting before it gave me the option before starting to cut which sheet I wanted to start on. This is now gone. Please give it back.
Waste sheet thickness used to be in settings for nesting, has now gone.
Label printer Dymo - random lockups when going to print (never had this happen before~maybe driver related incompatibilities win Win7?)
Barcode reader - not working, should get sorted out when tech gets back.
Not a major issue yet, but I'm sure it will come to bite me when I least need it to, is no admin control/passwords, which is causing headaches when trying to set up over a network eg trying to send a file from ecabs upstairs to the control.
Before when i ran a TWD it wrote a .CNC program to the CNC folder. That no longer happens.
No Win7 disk supplied with setup, just the CD case? Why?

OK that's it for now, and I'm reasonbaly sure that some of the fixes are in areas that I can't find yet, but please give me a hand to get them sorted out.

regards

Jason
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: Control Nesting V8

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Jason,

I can probably help on some of these....

Label printing - before there was an option to only print labels that had barcodes. We use this feature a lot and it is now missing. Please give it back.
> You just have to select one of the "Barcode Only" label RPT files. (eg "30252_Address_Barcode.RPT") If the label RPT has "barcode" in it's name, then it means "with barcodes only". This selection is on the 'Print" dialog.

When Nesting before it gave me the option before starting to cut which sheet I wanted to start on. This is now gone. Please give it back.
> Go to Control Nesting's "Settings" dialog. Under the "Machine Settings" section make sure to check off -> "[v'] Sheet Selection Option".

> The setting is now in the "Machine Variables" database (MVD). It can be edited via the main THM interface. [Edit] -> [Machine Variables]. It was moved to a central location as the new surfacing process updates this variable automatically. If you wish to be able to modify it on each sheet, then make sure you go to Control Nesting's "Settings" dialog. Under the "Machine Settings" section make sure to check off -> "[v'] Chk Waste Board Every Sheet".

Hope this helps.

The other items will have to be covered by someone else....
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Regarding the following concern:

Before when i ran a TWD it wrote a .CNC program to the CNC folder. That no longer happens.

Have you checked the CNC File Path, located in Control Nesting SETTINGS.
jason galbraith

Ok, so we got our control upgraded (well partly :roll: , I'll go into further details if the rest of the upgrade doesn't get fixed real soon....) Anyway I'm guessing we are a kind of a guinea pig, and I've come up with a few problems that need attention.

fixed sort of fixed needs attention

Label printing - before there was an option to only print labels that had barcodes. We use this feature a lot and it is now missing. Please give it back. Still a fair bit of mucking around to get offalls and then flip ops printed, compared to just hitting one button that says print barcodes only
Offalls - on the previous settings screen we could turn off offalls ( to save the piece being trimmed around - waste of time) and it would still print barcoded labels for the offall. Now we have to have offalls turned on to get the label and it trims the offall(wastes time).
Label printer Dymo - random lockups when going to print (never had this happen before~maybe driver related incompatibilities win Win7?)
Not a major issue yet, but I'm sure it will come to bite me when I least need it to, is no admin control/passwords, which is causing headaches when trying to set up over a network eg trying to send a file from ecabs upstairs to the control.
NEW - Can't rotate offall to sit against bottom left corner of CNC. It rotates on screen in the offall area, but not when it goes to nest.

OK that's it for now, and I'm reasonbaly sure that some of the fixes are in areas that I can't find yet, but please give me a hand to get them sorted out.

regards

Jason

Thanks for the replies which have helped and are highlighted green. Also, is there anyway of editing an original post to save creating more quotes like this down the screen and creating confusion. Thanks all.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
jason galbraith

Can anyone from TWD offer any more help?
Ryan Hochgesang

Jason,

You do not have to create a quote on each post, simply state your existing issues. Shortly after you post, you will have the option to view your post and choose EDIT at the upper righthand side of Thread.
jason galbraith

Thanks Ryan, Though that is the least of my concerns. The items highlighted in red are. Could these be addressed or passed on to someone within Thermwood to look at please.
Also, The QuickCut feature on our controller does not appear to be installed. At least that's the message that pops up on the screen when i try to click on it. How might I get this feature working?

regards

Jason
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

I think you will need to install eCabinet Systems sortware on your control for the QuickCut to work.

Kerry
jason galbraith

Thanks Kerry, I will need confirmation from Thermwood though, because if something goes wrong (can't trust system restore point even on Windows 7) I've got no install disk for the software. :?

*Edit - I stand corrected, the recovery disk was with the delivery invoices. Apologies.

So is Kerry correct in that all I have to do is install the latest version of Ecabs on the controller? Anything else?
Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

Yes, you will need to install eCabs on your controller. QuickCut works with your eCabs libraries.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Ryan
Is that true (you have to install E cabinets on your Control )?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Ryan Hochgesang

Yes, it is required that eCabinets be installed on the CNC control in order for Quick cut to work. To access the Quick cut screen, you will choose View, Application Views, Nested Based View from the menu system at upper left hand side of your control screen.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Offalls - on the previous settings screen we could turn off offalls ( to save the piece being trimmed around - waste of time) and it would still print barcoded labels for the offall. Now we have to have offalls turned on to get the label and it trims the offall(wastes time).

This was changed so that the offfall database does not grow too large with offfalls when you do not want them. I do not know if there are plans to change this but there is a quick work around. First nest with the offfalls turned on, then print your labels. Once the labels are printed, go in the settings and turn the offfall off. When you return to the main screen you will not have the offfalls on the screen and they will not be cut.

We have seen in the past that if the 5volt dc power drops below 4.8 volds coming out of the power transformer for the printer, it can cause problems. If you check this voltage and it is fine, I would recommend going to the dymo website and downloading the most recent driver for the printer.

If the barcode reader is a USB reader, then it needs to be re-installed anytime it is unplugged. If you need the setup page for this, I can fax it or email it to you. If it is an older serial scanner, then it may need to be reinstalled also.

When we send out an upgrade or update that changes the operating system, we never set the admin password. We leave it up to the customer to set this due to differences in networks and securities the machine will be connected to.

The Windows 7 software is applied to the restore CD that you received with the upgrade. We do not supply the actual cd because it is not needed, only the registration code is needed.

NEW - Can't rotate offall to sit against bottom left corner of CNC. It rotates on screen in the offall area, but not when it goes to nest.

When you rotate an offfall piece, you need to make sure that you save selected under the offfall dialog. You also need to go into the settings ,nesting parameers and tell it what corner of the table it will nest to.
It should be set to lower left.

If you have any questions, let me know.
jason galbraith

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:Offalls - on the previous settings screen we could turn off offalls ( to save the piece being trimmed around - waste of time) and it would still print barcoded labels for the offall. Now we have to have offalls turned on to get the label and it trims the offall(wastes time).

This was changed so that the offfall database does not grow too large with offfalls when you do not want them. I do not know if there are plans to change this but there is a quick work around. First nest with the offfalls turned on, then print your labels. Once the labels are printed, go in the settings and turn the offfall off. When you return to the main screen you will not have the offfalls on the screen and they will not be cut.

Ok...I Guess...Still a two step process compared to one. Slowing things down not speeding them up.

We have seen in the past that if the 5volt dc power drops below 4.8 volds coming out of the power transformer for the printer, it can cause problems. If you check this voltage and it is fine, I would recommend going to the dymo website and downloading the most recent driver for the printer.

If the barcode reader is a USB reader, then it needs to be re-installed anytime it is unplugged. If you need the setup page for this, I can fax it or email it to you. If it is an older serial scanner, then it may need to be reinstalled also.

Please send this setup . Barcode reader is serial. Does not work now.

When we send out an upgrade or update that changes the operating system, we never set the admin password. We leave it up to the customer to set this due to differences in networks and securities the machine will be connected to.

Still trying this but there are two accounts on the computer and one is Thermwood Technician (password protected with admin rights ) and it appears to be blocking attemots to change settings to the other account Thermwood User which also has admin rights.

The Windows 7 software is applied to the restore CD that you received with the upgrade. We do not supply the actual cd because it is not needed, only the registration code is needed.

Thanks

When you rotate an offfall piece, you need to make sure that you save selected under the offfall dialog. You also need to go into the settings ,nesting parameers and tell it what corner of the table it will nest to.
It should be set to lower left.

Have done this. However it still rotates back to its original state. Please try this on one of your setups and see if it works.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Now my biggest concern and one that I hope is being addressed by the Techs over here (though they are in Malaysia at the moment :? ) is that our X-Y drill bank is not working since the upgrade. Any ideas?
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hey Jason, Hows the big Thermwood with its new heart transplant going? Is it kicking butt? :lol:
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia