Allegies to dust

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Allegies to dust

Post by Neville Bastian »

I may be in the wrong forum but as Thermwood users I wouldn't mind a few thoughts.
I have a staff member who looks after the Thermwood operation and knows the machine really well after a number of years use. The operator is fairly knowledable on computers so this helps with the controller use. Yesterday he said he was looking at a getting a new job as the dust is effecting his sinuses and is worried about breathing in the dust long term. I have the standard dust extractor system from Thermwood but you still have airborne dust. I have no neighbors so was thinking about a way to remove the air around the cnc to flow outside. I have a few 600mm fans from a Auction so thought making it like a aircondioning duct and have a long duct that sits near and above the thermwood bed with vents in a few points along. Bit hard to explain but if anyone has done this or wishes to chime in with a few ideas thats great.

The other idea would be to improve his dust mask as he just wears a cheap fabric dust mask.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Allegies to dust

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Neville
I don't know if this will work for you but we made a booth for sanding.It has 3 sides the back wall has a back ,front and a top kind of like a closit the front has several 20"X20" sections for spray booth intake filters the fans are mounted in the top. and just vent back into the shop. It works great for sanding you can see the dust bieng pulled into the filters.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Neville,
I would highly recommend a shop air filter - Delta and JDS are the one's I own and I am very happy with them. In a matter of a few minutes the shop is clear of dust, but you do have to constantly clean the filters. They are definitely worth it if you've got a dust problem.
http://jdstools.com/jdsair-techhigheffi ... stems.aspx
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Neville,

I built my own air filters (fashioned after those Josh mentioned) and they help a great deal but as he says, there is a lot of filter cleaning. I really need to clean them daily.

Put a good dust mask on your operator.

If I were younger I would be worried about dust exposure also. I have never smoked but my lung capacity is not what it should be. I blame shop dust (MDF is the killer), attic dust, plaster dust, sheetrock dust and in Dalhart, feedlot dust.

I am out of breath just thinking about it. :(