Is youbuild.com going to be like production sharing???

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Is youbuild.com going to be like production sharing???

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Just found out about this and am wondering if this is going to be open to Thermwood CNC owners like the production sharing? If so, will Home Depot be stocking all of the material choices?
Thank you,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Zach Froble

Re: Is youbuild.com going to be like production sharing???

Post by Zach Froble »

I talked with someone at Thermwood last week and they told me this will not be available to us. Columbia Forest Products will be machining all the parts for Home Depot.
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Well that explains why Cabinet Vision told me they just sold Columbia Forest Products the software to process commercial casework. Seems like a pretty big conflict of interest when they are selling us the sheet goods for our projects while bidding against us with significant pricing discounts. Meanwhile eCabinets is stagnate.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Forrest,
I thought for sure that you would have been the test site for that area. I hope someone from Thermwood chimes in here to let us know what will be available to us Thermwood CNC owners, if anything. Or will Home Depot and CFP be our partners or competition???
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Ouch.
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Does this mean I can sell my machine and buy my parts at the home depot for less than it cost me now ?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Probably Will :) Lets see the spin machine go into overdrive on this one, and how it will be "better for everyone" and a "win - win situation for all parties"....
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

It would be good if it was like a plug-in for your website that you rebadge with your logo and you upload your cabinet photos and codes. When people order, the cutlist gets sent to you, the money goes straight to your bank, (because its pay in advance) then your biggest problem is getting it sent out. :D It could be a win win.
I suppose we will have to wait for the official announcement.
I watched the video on how to edge, unfortunately that woman edges better than my 3rd year apprentice :lol:
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

But Mark does she look better than your apprentice? If so you better offer her a job. :lol:

Well us guys in Australia better watch out that Laminex Industries ( our version of CFP) doesn't make the items for our new Lowes. Then we will be a disappointed well maybe a bit more than that ,squeeling like stuffed pigs.
Throwing programming time at software that benifits a single user firm rather than the cabinet co operative. Hmm doesn't sound like the American way to me.

Regards Neville
Neville Australia
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

I think it will be good for us in the long run because it will educate the general public to the concept of CNC cutting of cabinetry.
As it stands right now the public does not know we exist.
This is all speculation on my part.
The whole production sharing has been a waste for me. In the four years I have had my machine I have not made a penny from production sharing. At the most I have had 2 or 3 inquires and I have never sold a job using E Cabinets
E cabinets is part of Thermwood marketing not research and development
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi,

YouBuild is currently being test marketed at one location in Charlotte, NC. YouBuild products can either be purchased via the internet (http://www.youbuild.com) or through the end cap at the Wendover Road Home Depot location. YouBuild products are generated and resized using eCabinets. Customers can select products, resize if needed and then order. The order goes to Columbia and they machine and package the components for each job. Columbia then ships the products to the Home Depot store for the customer to pick up. The customer takes his products home and assembles them.

This is the basic flow of the program. We are unsure where it will go from here. The lock-dado joint is currently being tested in this application and once we feel it is ready, we will send it out as an update for eCabinet Systems.

Sincerely,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank you Jason for a little clarification. I for one hope that this can incorporate the Youbuild concept with the production sharing aspect. Also for continuity that CFP can supply the plywood to the home depot and we are able to buy it at a discount or have it supplied as part of the cost of the cabinet order. I have about 5 Home Depots with in a 15 mile radius so it might be worth it depending on how competitive the prices are and if we are able to maintain our hourly CNC rate. I hope that us Beta testers can get it quick so we can test the new drawers slide system and the lock joint blind dado with a KD Rafix type cam.

Please keep us posted. You know we are an impatient crowd :lol:

Thank you and may every one have a Happy Chanukkah and a Merry Christmas
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I am still not clear on this. Is the plan for existing Thermwood owners to cut parts for their local HD's using youbuild.com or is it going to be Columbia cutting all the parts?
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

CFP is I guess the test site to cut and package the order and then ship to the Home depot they are working with. I was told that CFP has or is getting a CNC and an edge bander.

If enough of us show interest maybe Thermwood will throw us a few appetizers in the next build so we can make the product offering also. I am interested in both manufacturing the youbuild product line and the new lock joint joinery and new draw bottom to dado slides for our own products.

A Real Big Bonus would be using these on angled parts. :wink: :wink:

I just tried looking at the youbuild.com site with a different PC using IE (does not work good with Firefox) and I like the way the preview works. Not able to see assembly instructions and was not able to resize. It seamed real slow connecting to the server but there is a winter storm in between Texas and Indiana so I may try it again in a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

I just got a flier from one of my distributors that they will be carrying the "cabinotch" system of knock down cabinets. The flier also explained how CFP bought out "cabinotch" and the system will be supplied with their purebond plywood. It looks like CFP is going after the cabinet and furniture market themselves.
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services