Poor edge quality

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Re: Poor edge quality

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Forrest,

My pre-ramp is set a little more than yours but I think it is dependent on the up-cut length of the cutter. I have tried setting it less & it didn't seem to help.

I think the ramp outside finished edge would cost a little more in material costs due to extra clearance between parts but labour savings would more than compensate if you need to re-cut parts due to chipping. A lot of this is dependent on the material you are cutting so would be useful for some but not worth the time for others. I hope we see some of this in the next update.

Gerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

By the way has anyone used the new Southeast Tool "MD" series for cutting HPL. I just got some in but won't need them for a couple of weeks. They are pretty inexpensive at 40$ for a 3/8" comp. so it will be great if they work as good as the Vortex "XP" series tool. Forrest
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I have not, but I do have a few Vortex XP's on my desk to try out and haven't got around to chucking one up yet. Where did you get the Southeast comp's from Forrest?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Carolina Specialty Tools. The XP Vortex bits are killer for HPL and melamine but if these work as well there is some savings so we will see. Forrest