Wireless connection from PC to router

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Hall
Company Name: American Stonecast

Wireless connection from PC to router

Post by Michael Hall »

For the last month, off and on, I have been trying to get our Windows 7 PC to wirelessly connect to our cnc, also with Windows 7. Hoping to do this to transfer files from the PC to the router, instead of using the USB drive back and forth between the two. I also want the CNC to be online if remote help is needed somewhere down the line.

Both have a wireless adapter installed. The PC connects online fine. The router seems to have a little trouble getting a connection, and when it does, I can never get web pages or anything to open up, even though it shows it has a connection to the internet; the browser acts like it is going to a website or trying to do an update, but no content ever loads up.

When I try to go into the network area on them, they don't see each other, even though both are connected to the same network via the same router. I have tried to do the sharing options, join groups, etc., but they just refuse to work together.

Any suggestions?
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Wireless connection from PC to router

Post by Daniel Odom »

I'm not a networking expert by here's my setup: The cnc is connected to a 5 port switch via 100-200 ft ethernet cable, the 5 port switch is connected to the router via 100-200 ft cable. Then I mapped the data folder of the Thermwood as a network drive and it now shows up under my computer. I can also remote connect to the machine this way and never lose connection. You may have to use the networking wizard to get everything configured, it's been a while since I've done this. I'd say the first step would be making sure the Thermwood can connect to the internet. I prefer a hard wired connection as I've had heat problems with wireless adapters and also it's hard to get a consistently strong signal in a large shop unless you're right near the wap; less headaches this way in my opinion.
Michael Hall
Company Name: American Stonecast

Post by Michael Hall »

Thanks Daniel. The signal seems to come and go, probably due to the building and distance from the router. I have already considered a hard wire to the router, then trying to connect the PC to the cnc. Might be my only option.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Michael, Our MTR is cabled networked which maybe yours does not have that option. With the wireless if you are having signal strength issues you can boost the signal with a directional antenna or you can have a repeater setup. Which increases the signal by double. You may need to drag in a computer expert who is into wireless. I used to have a wireless link of 5 miles a few years back when I could not get adsl that linked me to a friend who had ADSL at his home. That had PayTV type antenna's at each end 8)
Have fun

Neville
Neville Australia