Signs from DXF

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Signs from DXF

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hello,

We have been approached by a sign company in the area to route signs on our router. Their software will export files in DXF format.
Has anyone tried to cut signs from DXF files? I use TurboCad & have read through the CN manual about running DXF files & it looks like it will be a lot of work to get the sign file to the point where it could be run on the machine. I have attached the jpg of the sign they want cut, the white would be cut away.
The sign is 54" x 84" & the field would be .5" deep.

I can see cutting simple panels with pockets & dadoes but don't know if it will be worth trying to get the sign file to the point it can be run? :wall:
assb12.JPG
Thanks,
Gerry
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Signs from DXF

Post by Daniel Odom »

It would be nice if islands in pockets were supported, I'm not complaining though, dxf nesting is great for simple parts. I've seen people on here post ways to do this by dividing entities with islands into separate pockets... looks time consuming, but not impossible. Another way to do this is to manually offset poly lines by distance equal to the diameter of the bit and use a center-line layer to manually lay out the tool path for the pocket, use chain comp in and out on the letters outlines.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Daniel,

Islands in pockets.......that is where I was coming to a halt in my thinking to make this work but did not not know what to call it :?

I think the DFX import will work well for some things but I am starting to think that signs is not one of those things.

Thanks,
Gerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Gerry, we use artcam for signs and things we find a bit hard through Ecabinets. Are your sure the signwriters software does not export to the Thermwood as Artcam does. I think enroute does as well? Maybe you could get a dxf and send to the Thermwood guys and they could say if it possible?
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gerry,

Cut 2D software from Vectric is the easiest and least expensive way to do that sign.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

ArtCAM Express (Thermwood is an ArtCAM representative) should be able to do that as well for about $150. You may want to add the Advanced 2D Machining Module for some advanced "pocketing" features (about $150 extra). ArtCAM Express also has other modules that can be added on if you need additional features.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi,

So the consensus is clear. Well I am off to evaluate the programs you all have suggested.

One of my customers once told me his biggest fear was that he would spend almost enough to get what he needs. :joker:
That is always my concern when I am buying software like this although most seem to have a reasonable upgrade path.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Gerry
FredHirsch

Post by FredHirsch »

Gerry,
We've been running the Vectric packages from version 1. Works very nicely with the router. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Fred
Fred Hirsch
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Fred,

I downloaded ArtCam express, VCarve Pro & Cut2D trial editions & are working through them to see if they will do the job for me.
They will all obviously do this sign but I need to think about future jobs also. The Full version of ArtCam is a bit of a heart stopper when you get to the bottom line :shock:

Thanks Fred,
Gerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Gerry A Brown wrote:Hi Fred,

I downloaded ArtCam express, VCarve Pro & Cut2D trial editions & are working through them to see if they will do the job for me.
They will all obviously do this sign but I need to think about future jobs also. The Full version of ArtCam is a bit of a heart stopper when you get to the bottom line :shock:

Thanks Fred,
Gerry
Check out Aspire Trial Edition.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Scott,

I was trying to avoid spending that much but we do have a rotary playback on our router so it may be the best way to go.

Thanks,
Gerry
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

We use Aspire by Vectric which works very well with the router, you can import dxf's directly and apply a tool path and cut or import a photo and vectoriize, apply toolpaths and cut that way. Also does rotary and 3D work.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Terry,

We went with V Carve pro. It looks like it will do everything we need to do & if we decide we need Aspire we get a very good upgrade discount. We also bought Cut3D for those odd jobs :roll:

Thanks everyone for your advice,

Gerry