Improve Dust Pickup CS43

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Improve Dust Pickup CS43

Post by Josh Rayburn »

It's hard to keep up with that router, ain't it Kerry?
:D :beer:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Kerry,
Sounds like you got it covered. if you went to 650+ from 500 it would only make you have to work faster. There is an 1,100.00+- (per tool) option that would clean your table very good.

http://www.napgladu.com/news/general-ne ... cn-series/

and a few others all in the same price range...funny how that happens... Aerotool I think is one and there is another. I think Thermwood is testing one...at least there was talk in Atlanta last year at the AWF. I personally like the RCN one since you do not need special tooling or have to send it to them to mount it every time. RCN is just a big cover nut. May need a new tool holder fixture. Watch the video and see if this can solve your dust problem. I would be pretty sure it could solve it but can it be cost-justified
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Jason Lacireno
Company Name: L-ami Du Bois

Post by Jason Lacireno »

This Explains why would be extremely difficult to change Depth of the Bowl...

The tool holders on the C-40 are on stilts wich allow for a deeper grab, unlike the CS-43 wich cant go too far down because of the table...sucks...need try to make the vacuum pathway diameter bigger somehow :?
Attachments
20130326_075140.jpg
20130326_075126.jpg
Jim Carter
Company Name: Jim Carter Corp.

Post by Jim Carter »

I have a 43 and have always had excessive dust/chip problems.
I am convinced the problem is the restrictions caused by the dust hood, as shown in Jason's post.
The cs40 has two 4" pipes where the cs43 only has one, but with the same work to do. Every book I have read tells me that "when you reduce the size of the pick up pipe from 6" coming to the machine to less then 4" or 3 at the hood you have reduced air volume, reduced velocity, and increased static pressure." Try this. Cut a board the way you normally would, then, with out moving the board from the router, disconnect the 6" flex hose from the spindle and hold it 1 " or so above the board you just cut. move it around and see how much dust/chips are being sucked up. This is what we should have picked up the first go around if not for the restrictions caused by the dust hood. One of these days I have to redesign this because its not just about sweeping the floor the dust on the parts is also a problem to clean up.
jim@jimcartercorp.com
973-224-0221
Ringwood, New Jersey
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I was searching the internet for ideas to improve dust pickup on our router and Google sent me to this thread I started 9 years ago about the same problem.
I'm in a different shop with a different CS-43 and different dust collector but still have the same pickup problem. Oneida has even been trying to help us with sizing and setup but no joy.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Kerry,

Beyond throwing lots of dust suction at the hood, I have really good luck double passing every part with my cut direction set to Conventional/Non-Final Pass Climb. The machine climb cuts everything down to .020 skin, then conventional cuts the skin away. Rarely do I lose a part in this fashion, parts come off with a really nice edge finish, and the second go around with the cut sucks up the chips. I either spend the time blowing off the table and sweeping it up or I let the machine make another pass around to pick up chips.

-Clint-
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Hey Clint,

That wasn't the miracle solution we were hoping for but it looks like might be the best one when you factor in the router has more spare time to run outlines twice than the guys do to clean up dust, re-cut parts that were thrown and clean tabs off all the small parts we now tab.
We are going to try it on a couple of jobs.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

We've been doing it that way for years, since the ability was added to CN. It is well worth it. Not only is there nearly no dust on the table, but the quality of the cut edge is dramatically better. You won't regret it.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Clint, we've been using this method for couple years as well as the time we save not cleaning table more than compensates for the extra pass. But we cut both times in Conventional so my question is why do you do 1st pass in Climb? Is it faster or better for chip removal? Just curious.

FWIW, we have not found anything that solves our dust on the table issue by changing feed rates or hood designs or whatever. We try to maximize feed rate so we rooster dust all over (especially melamine) and on some materials, we pack it in slot so tight you have to pick up parts to get it out. So we went to 2 pass on these types of parts as solution.