Spindle Shaft Replacement

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Spindle Shaft Replacement

Post by Rob Davis »

For what it is worth, maybe a help to somebody else, we have a CS40 that we bought in 2003 and really never had a breakdown.
Months ago we started hearing a little "clack" when the tool released during a change. Never thought much about it. Then we started getting more than normal amounts of buiuld up on the tool holder and we checked air dryer, oiler, etc. Nothing. Then the tool noise got a little louder and we even had a tool not release every once in a while without a little help. Bottom line is one day about a month ago during a tool change the tool holder dropped out of the head along with a piece of the shaft. Obviously we were down at that point. We replaced the shaft the next day with help from Thermwood (sent me the parts and the printed instructions to replace it) and it is like we have a new machine again. Tool change is silent and the build up on holder is gone.

So, while I don't know if Thermwood would definitively say these are symptoms of this problem, we would say if you are hearing a clack and getting build up, be ready! Not fun easy or inexpensive to have this happen. Thankfully, we own a Thermwood so we had great support and parts availalble.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Spindle Shaft Replacement

Post by Will Williamson »

I say that is pretty damn good, 9 years on that spindle. Thanks for the heads up. I have often wandered, about the life expectancy, how I would handle that situation. I have 5 years on mine. Lets hear from the rest of you guys. Who's got the oldest running spindle with no repairs?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Haha! The real question is: how many running hours on the spindle? I've done mine three times.
The second spindle didn't last as long as the first one, but that's also because I made the mistake of NOT replacing ALL the toolholders at the same time as the spindle. I got 7 years on the first one, but the 6th and 7th year had more running hours than the first five combined.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Sorry for my ignorance, is this the actual motor that you are talking about? ie the router motor that spins the tools. Are these motors servieable or do you have to buy a complete new unit. Being in Australia this worries me a bit :)
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Jason, I did a core replacement. Not the actual motor, but the center part of the spindle that has the copper windings on it and bearings on both ends. I don't really know the technical name for all that stuff. I just know it cost a lot! :lol:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I did one of those after 3 years. My fault, not Thermwood. Was a tight arse with my air dryer as it was undersized. Moisture got through my filters and stopped the auto tool sensing working which required a new spindle. Bought a new rotary compressor with the works and it has zero moisture. Was going to set up the old refridge dryer at the Thermwood itself but after 1.5 yrs it still hasn't happened.
Jason, got a new spindle from the States by DHL and it it took three days from Dale. When the Thermwood stops send everyone home for a week.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Clean dry air is a must. We also got about 6 years from the first spindle running about 6 hours a day. We did a lot of nono kinda stuff with it though so I feel pretty good about the longevity. I am going to need another spindle in probably the next 6 months because of a crash that scared the bearings. It is at 4.5 years now. I do think that I would spend the extra 1k for a new spindle instead of rebuilt. Your already in the 3k range whats another grand. Forrest
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I agree with Forrest - and I think you get a core deposit back when you send the old guts back to TWD as well. It's not cheap by any means, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Josh - I am sure your spindles had more hours than ours. We are about a 4-6 hours per day run time operation on cnc.
Forrest - For our $3000+ USD, we got a REBUILT spindle and a $500 core credit when we returned our old one. Not sure if a new one is more or not? Never asked because I needed a spindle and I had one there to put in. If there was a way to buy a new one, I would.
Jason - This is the shaft ONLY. Has bearings and tool holder etc but not the entire motor.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I think the new one is $4K. You still get the core refund I believe. Forrest
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Is removing the old spindle and replacing with a new one a difficult job? any special tools or equipment needed? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have one on standby. Has anyone ever had a motor fail?
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I've never had a motor fail. I wouldn't park 4k on the shelf if I could avoid it because with my luck, something else will go wrong and then I'll need a different 4k part! haha!
The spindle core replacement was not difficult. No special tools, just a good set of allen keys and a few wrenches.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

yes Jason I think Josh is saying even for you it is easy. :lol:
Sorry mate couldn't resist. We did do ours as well as it was going to cost heaps to fly the flecknoe guys down. Had a mate who did a Italian cnc shaft himself so thought it was do able.
Maybe the next person who does one should take a Video and post it on the net for reference. Baggs not being that first person.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Neville, Thermwood sent me detailed instructions that included photos of every step and everything marked pretty clearly. Even we figured it out. Just ask them to send the instructions if you ever need a spindle. Make sure you have metric and english allen wrenches.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Good tip Rob. Is it Australian or American text?
:lol:
Have to turn it upside down to read it
Neville
Neville Australia