Roller Hold down Vs vacuum

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Soucy
Company Name: Paul B. Soucy Builder Inc.

Roller Hold down Vs vacuum

Post by Paul Soucy »

Hello folks,

This is my first time I post somthing so I hope I am doing it correctly. I am interested in buying a used 1995 C53 Thermwood CNC router. It comes with a roller hold down. I want to use the machine for scoring light gauge aluminum. I think a vacumm hold down would work better for me but I was not sure if I could use this machine with a roller hold down. Can someone please give me there input? Thank you very much! Paul Soucy
Dennis Englert

Re: Roller Hold down Vs vacuum

Post by Dennis Englert »

Paul,

You can double-check with our Retrofit staff, Jeff Hartke, but I believe that all those machines are dual-capable. That is, the plumbing for vacuum operations is already installed on the machine. You would just need to purchase the vacuum pump, if it does not come with it. The roller apparatus should not conflict with the operational use for vacuum, but could also probably be removed, if you don't need it at all. I'd check with our Tech Services Department for advice on that. They would also help you with getting the machine setup, checked out and operational.

There have obviously been lots of improvements since '95. You might check with Jeff Hartke about that. Unless the old machine was upgraded, it will still be using IBM OS2 as it's operating system, whereas the new machines since early 2000 are all using Windows. The current system is Windows 7. Aside from the operating system there are numerous other features and improvements.

Anyway, give these guys a call. They may be able to help you. Possibly, someone else can give you feed back about the scoring operation.

Dennis Englert
Manager of Product Training
Thermwood Corporation