Tooling Heat Up

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Tooling Heat Up

Post by Thom Davies »

Hello!

What a day its been! Nearly every sheet, the tool change for the B4 Tool its got stuck in the router, I've cleaned the tool, inside the cone, changed the collet and the cutter and still nearly every sheet it gets stuck.

It started off abit warm just on the knob, now 8 hours later pretty much the whole tool holder is warm.

Whats happend? and how can i sort it quickly

Im using Wet/dry sandpaper and WD40 on the tool holder and jiff and scotch brite inside the cone.

Cheers

Thom Davies
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Tooling Heat Up

Post by Daniel Odom »

Is it just that one particular holder or all of them? If so I'd put that one to the side until you determine the problem. I would avoid using sand paper on the tool holder/s; it may only make it worse. Check out this page, might be helpful http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/holder_maintenance.htm
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Thom, if you use WD40 make sure you wipe off with a clean dry rag ALL the residue. I also use a non silicon based tool lube which dries quickly before putting back in the head. It sounds like you may be putting the tool back in the head with to much fluid left on it and that is heating up and becoming gummy. Forrest
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Several diff. reps at the IWF show told us to NEVER use abrasives ( sandpaper, scotchbrite, steel wool) on the tool holders and especially in the spindle. Gunk will come off with solvent and stiff (non-metal) brush. Spindle cleans with a spindle wiper. The brown area from fretting is not a problem unless it's starting to pit. They recommended switching to holders that have a relief in the middle of the taper. Any lubricants on the mating surface could cause the tool holder to slip in the spindle while cutting under load which could damage the spindle.
With good dust extraction and air blowers in the dust hood, we don't have a problem with gunk on the spindle. the only time they can get dust on them is sitting on the ATC holder and the air nozzles blow them off when the spindle lowers down to pic them up.

We stopped having problems with sticking tool holders when we slowed down our spindle speed and feed rates.

Your mileage may vary,
Dave