Offset at end of tenon

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Offset at end of tenon

Post by Rob Davis »

We machine for others and one of my customers is having an issue that I don't see on our stuff. Any idea why he is seeing this?
I think it might be related to the fit and depth clearance he specifies. We set ours at 0.015 and his is 0.040. We have tried to get him to reduce this because we think it also leaves small slivers of wood on the top of the tenon which we have to remove for him. We don't see it on our parts so we think it relates to the clearances. That is why we wonder if this is also related to the same setting. Picture shows the issue and I have amateurishly marked it up to show where it is.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Tenon Step.jpg
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Re: Offset at end of tenon

Post by Rob Davis »

Before you all respond it is in my tool diameters, I measured them and they are correct to within 0.003 or so.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

What tools are being used for the dado over the tenon and the outline? What is the material and thickness?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

brad,
we use a 3/8 compression tool to outline. The dado is done by either the same tool or a 1/4" straight tool or a 3/16 straight cutter, depending on the "width" of the tenon. The material is 3/4 plywood with actual thickness of 0.726" on average.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

I'd try using some vortex 1/4" xp downshears for the tenons. Otherwise you may have to lie to the machine, tell it the diameter of your 3/16 is .177" or so.