problem cutting flute

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

problem cutting flute

Postby Brian Shannon » Fri, Jun 27 2014, 2:03PM

CN is only recognizing region 1 on the right style and only region 2 on the left style. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Bookcases Test.hsf
(674.02 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Bookcases Test.jpg
Bookcases Test.jpg (13.39 KiB) Viewed 6693 times

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: problem cutting flute

Postby Brian Shannon » Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:33PM

It acts like a CN issue. I've even tried a display panel. No matter how many flutes I have, only the last one is recognized and cut.

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Postby Scott Marshburn » Sun, Jun 29 2014, 10:27AM

Hi Brian
When we do flutes like this through CN we set up our 1/2 ball nose with a slightly smaller diameter than it actually is i.e. .4844 or so in profile modeler the cutter is set to model. Then the machine will model 1/2" wide flutes with two passes on each region. If you are loading the parts into profile modeler you can set up the 1/2" ball nose as a custom tool with the actual diameter then make sure you verify each tool path individually. The machine will cut the flutes in 1 pass as long as the max plunge is set to the depth of the flutes.
If you are trying to use a custom cutter through the mdf door tool options then the machine will only cut 2 profiles for each part the inside region and the outside region. If for example you have only the inside region set up with the 1/2 cutter then it will only recognize that region on each part. So for example you have 2 flutes on the left stile the first flute that you drew in eCabinets will be the inside region in the mdf door tool options. The second flute that you drew in eCabinets will be the outside Region in the mdf door tool options. As for the right stile if you have a cutter such as I described above set to model in profile molder and you have a 1/2" ball nose set up in the inside and outside regions in the mdf door tool options then the machine will use the tools you have set up in the mdf door too options to cut the inside region and the outside region then use the tool that you have set up in profile molder to model the third region.
I hope this makes sense

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Brian Shannon » Sun, Jun 29 2014, 7:05PM

Thanks for the input. I'll play around with it some more. This was all done in the part editor so I don't think it would use any MDF door tooling. I usually lie and just use a cabinet back with 1/4" partitions, replacing my 1/4" cutter with a 1/2" ballnose bit and cut the dadoes into the back but I would like to just do it in part editor and cut everything at once.
Attachments
Island center flutes.jpg
Island center flutes.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Return to “Thermwood 3-Axis Machinery”