Rotary playback information

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Rotary playback information

Post by Gerry A Brown »

We bought a used CS 45 in 2011 that came with a rotary playback device. I would like to make use of this unit with both eCabinets and Aspire. Could someone who makes use of their playback unit point me at any information that would help get it up and running.

Thanks,
Gerry
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Rotary playback information

Post by Will Williamson »

Hi Gerry
from what I have seen most of the rotary playback devices are sitting around doing nothing. All the guys i talked to that bought them with their machine, never set them up and used them.
I think I see Ray Jorgensen down in Iowa using one, look on the forum for his contact info. I would like to get one for my self. Does anyone want to sell theirs?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Will,

I don't think it is any surprise that these devices are under used there seems to be very little documentation from anyone on there use. We have a 7' wide table so we could leave it setup and use it for those special projects that come up once in a while. We have been taking on some odd jobs with the slow down in the cabinet work around here and being able to use the rotary would help with some of them.

I don't have any illusions about it being a big money maker and if we had enough work to keep the router busy building more profitable projects I would not bother with it. Sometimes it might get us into a job or make a contact that is more profitable. I would think there must be some documentation on setting it up somewhere as Thermwood sold quite a few of them?

I hope you find one then maybe we can learn to use it together ;)

Thanks,
Gerry
Will Williamson
Guru Member

I would call Thermwood tech support and have them send you what ever documents you need to setup and control.
and then contact Vectric about the post processor. they have a whole post processor heading on their forum. check there
Will

Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Will,

I think that is the way to go. I need to get enough information to get started from Thermwood then I can pursue more involved procedures.

Thanks,
Gerry
Will Williamson
Guru Member

Did you get the manuals with your machine?
Will

Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

I have the manuals that were on the router (PDF) but did not see anything in them describing the use of the rotary device.

Gerry
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Gerry,

From my understanding, Thermwood originally marketed the Rotary Playback Units (RPUs) as just that - a playback unit for rotary programs that it had developed and were to make available through the "Part Program Rental" program that they once had in place. It is possible that some of these programs for the RPU are available in what I believe to be the now free library.

We at CNC Automation have implemented the RPU for a number of clients so as to be useable with Mastercam and/or ArtCAM generated programs. A little setup and a custom post processor were all that were needed.

Much of the initial task is setting up the FIXTURE OFFSET XY reference for the lathe-like spur drive center and to adjust the tool daylight/length compensation calculations so the the program Z zero falls even with the spur drive's horizontal center. In later model machines, Thermwood implemented a technique that we had first used in our solution, into the overall tool change process - on these machines a simple variable definition in the program body ([USE_RPU=1]) will automatically make the tool length adjustments for the RPU using the "SWITCH2RPU" variable found in the Machine Variables Database (MVD). !! Check that your particular machine has these newer supporting tool change macro features before trying this. Just creating and defining these variables yourself will not make this process work !!

Something that needs some care and planning in any post processor for use with the RPU is the approach and retreat from the part mounted on the RPU - at the program start, end and particularly during tool changes. Any tool change should have some additional code that will position the head/tool off over the table to the side of the RPU. This "waypoint" will help to insure that the RPU drive unit does not get in the way during tool change rapids to the BARSTYLE tool change racks at the back of the table. This "off to the side" approach will also work well for TYPEWRITER tool changes as, if left in position over the part and RPU, the arms could collide with the part during a too change.

Hope this helps some...
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Will Williamson
Guru Member

Brad
so how do you set the unit up? Does it set on top of the spoil board and bolt through to the aluminum table beneath? Does Thermwood have the mounting holes already in the table?
Will

Brad McIntosh
Guru Member

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Will,

On the units that we have dealt with, the main spoil board is removed and the unit is usually placed into the pop-up corner and bolted to the table. This is a fixed and repeatable positioning location.

You would probably want to create some covers for the vacuum port(s) in your table to prevent chip, dust or other potentially more harmful debris from falling into those openings.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi,

Our router has a 2' x 12' table and a 5'x12' table. The RPU came mounted on the same end as the pop up pins but on the 2' table. I assume the location information is somewhere on the machine and will take a look to see if I can find it. Our machine displays a dialog asking if we want to start the machine with or without the RPD so I would think if it was loaded with the RPD the fixture offset would also be loaded?

As you say Brad locating the device and insuring that the head avoids the RPD during tool changes and homing runs is critical. Our machine is a 2007 model so I don't know if that would be before the "USE_RPU=1" was implemented. I will look and see if I can find any reference to this on our machine. We would like to use this unit with Aspire so I will check for a Post P for this.

Thanks Brad I do appreciate your input, that gives me a starting point. :beer:

Gerry
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Call thermwood. Mine was zeroed in when I got it and I thinks I could tell you how to do it, but I'm just not hat sure. The folks at thermwood will treat you right!!!!! You bought a good machine.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

I have one and it is still in the crate I built for it. regular cam programs are too slow in parallel Needs to be run in continuous mode Mecsoft has it .
check out this video on youtube to see the difference in speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw7PE73i83o
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Here are some videos done at one of our clients who has a 5x20 C53. Their RPU is used to create stair columns.

They use Mastercam and a custom post we here at CNC Automation developed that allows them to not have to use multi-axis add-on options - simple Router L1. We have incorporated special SCREW and SPIRAL functions, as well as a "turning drill" cycle. (The Spiral function is used to do the twisting flutes.)

Thermwood Rotary Playback Device - Contours and Flutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTc7HWtKdE

Thermwood Rotary Playback Device 2 - Pocketed Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E1LH3X9YfM
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Mike Murray
Company Name: VCSS

Post by Mike Murray »

Will, did you find a rotary playback yet? I would make you a deal on a brand new one. I cut a couple things on it, and it is way cool, but not part of my business model, I know you do many different things than boring boxes like me..