Min Pocket Leftover area for outline

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Kyle Koehn
Company Name: Countryside Cabinet Shop

Min Pocket Leftover area for outline

Post by Kyle Koehn »

Is the min pocket leftover area setting supposed to apply to the outline cut as well? I am wanting to clean up some of my right angles and it seems like this setting isn't having any affect. I am importing layered dxf into CN.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: Min Pocket Leftover area for outline

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Kyle,

As far as I know... no - the "Min Pocket Leftover" applies only to POCKET operations and not to OUTLINEs.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Kyle Koehn

Post by Kyle Koehn »

That is unfortunate. I use a 3/8 compression for my outline cuts and would like to cut the toe notch as well. The radius left by the 3/8 cutter is almost too much. Not sure its worth it if I have to clean up all the corners afterward.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Kyle,

The only way I could think to get it to do what you want is if in CV you can do the side without a toe kick notch. Then cut the notch with a pocket, but you have to leave some skin behind, usually around .005" will work. The skin is needed because if it is a through cut, it will become part of the outline. If there is skin left, it will be treated as a pocket and obey the pocketing settings. Once again, not sure if you are able to in CV, but a picture is attached below of how it's done in eCabinets. The attached nest picture, depicts the difference between the left end that wasn't modified and the right end that was.

-Clint-
Attachments
Skin_Nest.JPG
Skin.JPG
Kyle Koehn

Post by Kyle Koehn »

I was able to place a 5mm drill operation right there in the corner and then save that back into the catalog in Cabinet Vision. Got me the result that I wanted.