Skin setting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gary Li
Company Name: Maljohn Plastics

Skin setting

Post by Gary Li »

I have some questions about the skin setting.

First, I wonder how I can setup a outline cutting in just one pass without any skin. I find I can't input 0" in the thickness of skin. I input .001", then 1 square inch in the area to leave the skin, and 1 inch long to leave the skin. The part is 1/4" thick, and bigger than 1 square inch and longer than 1 inch. But the program still cut .249" first, and then cleanup the .001".

Second, I have two parts combined on a sheet. I would like to leave the skin on the smaller part and cut through on the bigger part. I set
the area of small part < the area to leave the skin < the area of big part
the length of small part < the length to leave the skin < the length of big part
However, both of the parts still have skins.

Thanks!
Gary Li
Company Name: Maljohn Plastics

Re: Skin setting

Post by Gary Li »

I find the solution for the first question.
Attachments
Double Pass Setting
Double Pass Setting
double pass.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Skin setting

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Gary,

That is the correct setting to for both you questions. The first set of boxes are for Size to Create Double Pass say that if a part is under the Maximum Part Area or if its less then the Part Width or Length it will create two passes for the outline, the first pass going down to the Skin Thickness value. Under the Size to Leave Skin on Double Pass Part, if the part is under the Maximum Part Size in area or if it is less than the Maximum Part Width or Length it will leave the skin behind.

So if you want skin on one and not the other, make sure your larger part does not meet the criteria of Size to Leave Skin on Double Pass Part, but your smaller part does.

-Clint-