today's q-core CN update

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

today's q-core CN update

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Can someone elaborate on this?
From the release notes:

Cut centerline lines via DXF with changes in Z. (ADDED)

Does the help file get updated with these additional features, so that I can learn how to use them?
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Stuart Douglas

Re: today's q-core CN update

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Bump. Nobody knows anything about this? :wall:
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Stuart,

I assume that you work with Layered DXFs...

The Control Nesting "HELP" system is usually updated with the general update.

In the "updated" HELP ("ie Control Nesting Manual"), under "DXF"->"Defining Layer Names"->"Layer Names"...
zchange - When the word 'zchange' exists in a centerline layer Control Nesting will obey the Z values for that line. This allows the ability to cut in a ramping motion. Only lines are supported. (Example: centerline zchange d#p#).
I sent out a note to our technical staff with this "explanation"...
  • When using the “ZCHANGE” option for the CENTERLINE layer, the “chain” (1 or more connected line entities) must be drawn in 3D in order to define the changing depths. The “Z#P###” specification is not used. The “ZCHANGE” feature is meant to be used with CENTERLINE “chains” made up of only a few segments. It is not intended process linearized 3D modeling data.
  • Either the "d#p###" or "[Toolname]" parameter can be used to specify the target tool.
  • One example of where this could be used is to produce a “sloping keyhole slot” such as that required for a “LOCKDOWEL” type of fastener.
  • Use of the ZCHANGE option on the CENTERLINE layer may also require the START option in order to be certain as to where the Control Nesting will begin the operation. The PLUNGE option may also be useful to avoid ramping lead-ins.
Hope this helps.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

That is exactly what I was looking for, Brad. Thanks for bringing it into the light. Looks Like I'm going to have to test-cut some examples to fully feel out the application of the commands to see it working as intended. I actually turned down some work recently that this would have been useful for, because there were so few pieces that it was faster to do it by hand and eye, not knowing that this was something in the control.

Are those other comands (Start, Plunge, et.al.) compatible with other layer commands (pocket, etc.)? To be honest, there are so many limitations to the layered DXF file that I've been researching true CAM software to make up the gap in our capabilities.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

PLUNGE is only an option for the CENTERLINE layer.

START is an option for CENTERLINE, CHAIN COMPIN/OUT and I believe OUTLINE. Might be applicable to POCKET (for the start of the clean-up pass.). (Not much use with DRILL or DADO.)

I do not believe that Thermwood ever intended or marketed the Layered DXF functionality as a FULL CAD/CAM replacement. Some people do find that it does what they need and may never encounter a "ceiling" with their simple usage - while others will want to look at more "feature rich" CAD/CAM such as the Vectric or Mastercam products.

As Peter Parker's Uncle Ben said - "With great power comes great responsibility!". So as one moves into the realm of a full CAD/CAM system, of course tooling selections, feeds and speeds, order of operations, cut directions, start points, etc must typically all be defined by the "programmer" operation by operation.

** It should be pointed out though, that most general CAD/CAM systems are not very effective at replacing the general overall functionality of a specialty application such as eCabinet Systems. But they can certainly be a useful addition to your toolbox - if and when you need them!

Happy cutting!
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

You hit that right on the head! The DXF layer function does lots of stuff for us very well, but as my ability progresses I find that I am want for something a little more full featured for doing signs and modeling. I have test driven the Aspire program from vectric, but not any of the delcam or rhino style programs. I'm not sure if I need all the features of the true CAM suites, but Aspire seems to hit the sweet spot for small outfits like mine. :beer:
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS