the new manual part placement feature

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

the new manual part placement feature

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

I just want to say thanks for the new feature in control nesting I'm sure I will get lots of use out of it.
I found a few bugs and have ideas on how to make it a little bit better.

when you add a new full empty sheet when you have more then one material it will only pick the first material nested and not give any option to pick with type of material is it.

in the manual nest clipboard the metric values aren't correct
manual nest copy page is wrong in metric.PNG
manual nest copy page is wrong in metric.PNG (11.18 KiB) Viewed 8559 times

in the instructions inside the help manual the number 9 has the wrong picture...
wrong picture.PNG
and if you select two parts and move them constrained and wiggle your mouse up and down they will slowly drift apart
moving away from each other.PNG
moving away from each other.PNG (3.73 KiB) Viewed 8559 times

please reply to see if these can be addressed
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: the new manual part placement feature

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Thomas strembitsky wrote:I just want to say thanks for the new feature in control nesting I'm sure I will get lots of use out of it.
I found a few bugs and have ideas on how to make it a little bit better.

when you add a new full empty sheet when you have more then one material it will only pick the first material nested and not give any option to pick with type of material is it.

in the manual nest clipboard the metric values aren't correct
manual nest copy page is wrong in metric.PNG

in the instructions inside the help manual the number 9 has the wrong picture...
wrong picture.PNG
and if you select two parts and move them constrained and wiggle your mouse up and down they will slowly drift apart
moving away from each other.PNG

please reply to see if these can be addressed
Thank you for posting your findings, I was beginning to wonder if anyone started using it yet. That being said:

To add a different sheet of material, you have to have that material up when you click the button to add a sheet. For example if I have two sheets of material 3/4" is my first and 1/4" is my second, if I want another sheet of 1/4", I need to have the nest of the 1/4" material up when I click the button to add the material.

The metric issue on the clipboard looks to be a bug so we will look into correcting it.

Icon in the help manual should get updated for the next release.

We will look more into the parts drifting apart.

-Clint-
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Sorry Clint for being one of the really cautious ones on a new CN release. Ok I will admit gutless. :roll: Hope this feature does what it sounds like modifing the nesting from what is suggested. If we can control the offcut shape it would be a real turn on.
Thanks for the hard work behind the scenes.

Neville
Neville Australia
Jason Lacireno
Company Name: L-ami Du Bois

Post by Jason Lacireno »

I enjoy the new Feature. its a pretty Game changer for me. yeah couple small glitches mentioned here but i still love it.

I've played with this new feature quite a bit and pretty used to it now.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Clint, here are a couple other things I found with manual nesting.

Once I started using the rotate option, whenever I clicked on the next part it rotated about 10 degrees on its own even if the rotate button was set back at 0. It would also be good if the rotate slider automatically goes back to 0 when the next part is deselected.

If you try and re-nest after moving parts around a warning with a choice to continue would be nice.

Other than that it's rock solid for me and has already proved invaluable. Nice work and keep them coming.

Next on my list would be single entry outline. :D

Forrest
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Forrest Chapman wrote:Clint, here are a couple other things I found with manual nesting.

Once I started using the rotate option, whenever I clicked on the next part it rotated about 10 degrees on its own even if the rotate button was set back at 0. It would also be good if the rotate slider automatically goes back to 0 when the next part is deselected.

If you try and re-nest after moving parts around a warning with a choice to continue would be nice.

Other than that it's rock solid for me and has already proved invaluable. Nice work and keep them coming.

Next on my list would be single entry outline. :D

Forrest
Forrest,

I was able to repeat your issue with the rotate and we will work on correcting it. I will also pass along your suggestions to the software engineers

-Clint-