THM sync on Win XP control

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

THM sync on Win XP control

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Trying to run the THM sync program on my Win XP controller, and I get the error message "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Poking around online, and it looks like it requires Win XP SP3 to run. The controller is SP2. Of course, I'm hesitant to make a change as big as installing SP3 on my controller and maybe screwing it up beyond redemption. Is there another option? Maybe a THM sync program that will run on the old controller?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Re: THM sync on Win XP control

Post by David Egnoski »

Jeremy,

I just went through this. I think the solution was to run the export function on your machine and import that into the desktop version. That should get all your settings.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Ah! Thanks David, I'll give that a try.

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

That doesn't import the settings from the control software, just Control Nesting. Not sure if it worked, because when i try to open Control Nesting, it says it can't find Offfalls.mdb. No way to cancel out of it either, curiously... I have to kill it from the task manager.

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Jeremy,

Talking to the software engineers, you were correct in that it requires SP3. We did have machines that went out on SP3, however you'd be more on your own to find the correct update to get you to SP3. I'd recommend against it, lots of potential to mess stuff up. If the software engineers were able to get sync working for SP2, we would lose a lot of the features we need for it to work on everything else, so for the greater good it has been omitted.

That all being said, the following files you can grab and move to your desktop computer. Locations for machine and location where they go on your computer are listed:

Machine:
1. On C:\ Drive-
a. Contents of Rolling Nest folder
b. Contents of OFFSET.TAB folder
c. In C:\system, Toolman.thm
2. In Control Nesting, go to File, and choose Save Settings/Tooling. Save it somewhere to find.

Computer:
1. From machine C:\ Drive-
a. Goes in C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10\Control Nesting
b. Goes in C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10
c. Goes in C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10
2. In Control Nesting, go to File, and choose Load Settings/Tooling. Find the file from the machine and choose it.

Make sure in Control Nesting on your office computer you go to Edit, and choose Thermwood Software Version Override. Set it to the THM version that is the same as your machine, or one step older. If you don't, you could potentially create code that can't be read on your machine.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thanks Clint. That mostly worked. Control Nesting now has all the proper settings, but the tools and machine variables still show all the default values. Do they perhaps need to go in a different directory? I tried putting toolman.thm in a subdirectory called "system", but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:Thanks Clint. That mostly worked. Control Nesting now has all the proper settings, but the tools and machine variables still show all the default values. Do they perhaps need to go in a different directory? I tried putting toolman.thm in a subdirectory called "system", but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?
The only Machine Variables you would need would be XG901 and YG901. And you only need those if you want to use the graph screen and are not using offsets from the Fixture Offset Table.

Make sure desktop version is shut down when you are copying over the toolman.thm file. Also, check the date on the toolman file from the machine, and make sure the one on desktop located at C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10 matches. Would probably be worth it to have THM shut down on the machine when you copy the toolman.thm file so it isn't open or set to read only. It doesn't need to go in a subdirectory on the desktop version, just in the TDE10 folder.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

I got it. I (being Old Skool) am used to looking in Program Files for programs. And, indeed, there is an identical file tree for THM in Program Files (x86)... I had copied all the files there. I had assumed when you typed "ProgramData", you meant Program Files :oops: . Especially after I looked for "ProgramData" and it didn't show up, even with hidden files shown. Had to type it directly into the address bar. Anyway, I think it's working now, thanks.

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Ah yes the ever elusive ProgramData folder. If it makes your life easier in the future, where you typed in ProgramData to get there, you can copy the directory path into it. So highlight from previous post, CTRL+C, go to File Explorer, click in the bar once, and CTRL+V. Press enter and it takes you right there.

At least you knew you could type there, I can't even count the number of people I've taught how to get through File Explorer over the phone.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

I used to do tech support for an ISP back in the day. If I had a nickel for every time I said "Now click on Windows Explorer" and heard "I don't have that!", then I wouldn't need to be in the woodworking business...

Now, I'm trying to get printing from the THM desktop to work, so I'm sure I'll have another question or two before all is said and done. :mrgreen:

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12