Machining plam on 1 1/2'' thick pressboard

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Machining plam on 1 1/2'' thick pressboard

Post by DanFecteau »

I'm having bad results (chipping) on outline afert only 4-5 sheets, mostly on top of board. I'm usign Onsrud 60-181Mw at 18 000 rpm and 250-300 feed in 2 passes....Any idea what is the problem ?

Is there anyway I could do an outline with variable depth at 1st pass in the same outline ? Oscillating ? I have a Model 40 and just add a Model 45 wich would be ready to use by the end of next week.

Thanks for feed back !
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Machining plam on 1 1/2'' thick pressboard

Post by Will Williamson »

Have you considered Diamond tooling
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Machining plam on 1 1/2'' thick pressboard

Post by Clint Buechlein »

As you read the response below, keep in mind I don't do a lot of cutting. I do some, but not nearly enough to be considered "production".

My initial thought is the 250-300 ipm is too slow for a 1/2" bit. Going by Onsrud's chip load calculator located here http://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/2012%20 ... pboard.pdf for that material (I believe same type of material you are cutting), you should be somewhere in the 550-600 ipm speed. That speed calculated using the row 60-100(DE), .022" chip load, and factoring the 25% reduction for two passes. It may be worth calling in to Onsrud's tech line to see if there is another option in tooling or recommended speeds.

That all being said, there is an oscillate code. Turning on an axis to oscillate is a G65, turning off is a G64. You can search in the Super Control manual for those codes and it will list the stipulations.

-Clint-