Control Nesting issues

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Control Nesting issues

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Good day!

Issue #1
I've never been able to get used to the fact that the newer versions of control nesting require me to select a material group before changing the Nesting Parameters. We always nest just one material at a time, so the way it used to work was perfect for us, where the Options > Nesting Parameters dialog box would always apply to the material that was currently being nested. Now, I have to select the material group before changing the parameters. It would be awesome if there could be a setting that I could choose to have the material group automatically default to the material group that is currently being used.

Issue #2
We model our one piece MDF glass frames from the front side. We have a template that we created with two toolpasses to carve out the inset for the glass from the backside of the frame. The template is set up with a different material name, in a different material group, that is set to No Outline Cuts, since all we need is the glass cutout. Recent versions of control nesting no longer allow that, saying that the nest contains only outlines, but outline cuts are disabled, hence no nest will be created.
I was going to attach the TWD file, but the forum doesnt let me attach it, saying "invalid file extension"
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Control Nesting issues

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Tommy,

Issue#1
There were scenarios where the settings weren't being applied to the correct group so that functionality needed to be added in to select the group. We have a few requests and desires regarding groups and I'll make sure your's is on the list.

Issue#2
There are a few files needed to see for sure what is going on. We need an export from Control Nesting, the .twd, and the actual eCabinet part itself (whether it is a .hsf file, in a Batch, or in a layout). You can either put them all in a folder, zip it up and try to post it, or send the files to cabinets@thermwood.com.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Here's the files you asked for. My bad, I didn't think of using a zip file! :oops:

Thanks Clint!
Attachments
MDF 19.1BACK 58rail 13mm.zip
(2.55 MiB) Downloaded 412 times
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Tommy,

The software engineers see the issue and will work to correct it.

I'm guessing you have been working around the issue since tool 104 is named False Outline Tool, but another option to jump around the outline operation is to do a search in the program for T104. Right above that will be a line that reads S1 and above that is M5. When they grey bar is on the S1 line press E and then E to enter text. Enter in M81L999 and press enter. Press the home key on the keyboard and cycle start. Once the program gets to the M81L999 line (right before the tool change for outlines), the program will jump to the ending sequence and send the machine home.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

As always, thanks for the help, Clint!
Have a great day!
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Sorry, just discovered another bug very similar to this one. If you take the same files I uploaded earlier, and set the settings to Cut Outlines Only, the machine will still cut both toolpasses and the outline.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Tommy,

Thanks for reporting. The software engineers weren't able to work on the fix before yesterday's release so I'll make sure to verify and add it to the other issue so they can try to correct for the next release. You can still update to the latest version (6.11), you'll just have to follow the same procedure you have been or the one I outlined previously.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Perfect, thanks a lot Clint! Pleasure working with you!
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Just dropping by to say I absolutely LOVE that the material groups now automatically default to the currently loaded material in Control Nesting! Keep up the good work Thermwood Team, and have a GREAT day!! :D
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Tommy Wieler wrote:Just dropping by to say I absolutely LOVE that the material groups now automatically default to the currently loaded material in Control Nesting! Keep up the good work Thermwood Team, and have a GREAT day!! :D
Thank you Tommy.

Also noteworthy, if the job is nested and the currently visible sheet is in a group, that will be the group displayed when opening Settings or Nesting Parameters.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

I can't remember if I ever mentioned this... maybe not.
One other thing that still needs fixing in CN is that when I have a part that has profile routs on it, and I select the option to cut outlines only, it will still cut the profiles before cutting the outlines. Maybe this could be addressed for the next release.
Thanks again for all the hard work you all do! Just discovered the new feature that allows me to force using a certain material group by simply renaming the twd file. This is a GREAT feature that I will be using ALL the time!
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Tommy,

Sorry for the delay, but I'll make sure to let the software engineers know about the profile operations issue.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

I also would like thank the guys and to say, this is a big Quality of life improvement.
Postby Tommy Wieler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:01 am
Just dropping by to say I absolutely LOVE that the material groups now automatically default to the currently loaded material in Control Nesting! Keep up the good work Thermwood Team, and have a GREAT day!! :D