THM not starting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

THM not starting

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Greetings all.
Over the last few days, I've been having difficulty getting THM to start properly. It would display the initial splash screen, but it wouldn't get beyond that. After restarting the computer, it would start properly, and I would go through the rest of the day without any difficulty. This morning though, I can't get it to start at all. I've tried restarting numerous times without success. And I'm getting an error message this morning as well that I haven't seen before.
Capture.JPG
Tommy Wieler

Re: THM not starting

Post by Tommy Wieler »

after continuing restarting several more times, we finally got it to go again, but something is definitely not right...
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Tommy,

Power down the machine, pull off the side cabinet and take a look at the card cage. There is a purple cable running to the bottom of the card cage into a card that is plugged into the mother board. With the machine powered down, unseat that card from the motherboard, and reseat it. Also make sure the purple cable is tight at both connection ends.

That may or may not help to take care of the issue but it is worth checking first.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Thanks for the reply.
I found the card you were talking about, and reseated it, but no success. :cry:
I left the machine running last night, and everything was working fine this morning. but after powering down and restarting, THM once again refuses to start.
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

I disabled the service that auto-starts THM at computer startup, and let the machine sit for awhile before starting THM, and I got it to start. I'll keep you posted if this ultimately works for us.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Next step then would be to make sure the memory stick(s) are seated properly in the motherboard. Same process, remove,make sure there isn't anything in the way and seat back in. Also check to make sure if there are multiple sticks that the amount of memory available for the system is accurate to how much is supposed to be available.

Has there been antivirus software or anything else installed either recently or semi recently? Antivirus more so tends to not like THM software.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

I'll try that next time I shut down the machine.

No antivirus software installed recently. We've installed MS Office 365 for document sharing between the office and the shop, an instant messaging app for shop communication, Chrome remote desktop so when main operator goes on vacation he can still remotely access the machine to support the backup operator, and an internet content filtering service.
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Update...
so far, the "fix" seems to be working for us. I started the machine this morning, waited a few extra minutes before starting THM, and it came up no problem.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Hi Tommy. We've had this issue intermittently with our CS45 as well, and have arrived at the same "solution". By chance, is your machine hooked up to a network? I have the inkling that if the computer doesn't connect to the network first, that the software won't start. By waiting before you start the THM software, it allows time for the computer to get fully booted up and connected to the network. Just a theory that I haven't tested in-depth...
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Yes we are connected to a network...
I've never thought about that possibility. my theory was that the computer is slowing down as it gets older, and startup procedures are taking longer. Last year THM kept giving me error messages that the intime kernel wasn't running, so I set up a 30 second delay on the THM startup, and that erased the problem, since I was giving intime more time to start itself. Now I guess 30 seconds wasn't long enough anymore, so I just disabled autostart altogether.