Cutting Plexi glass

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ian Richardson
Company Name: Millworx

Cutting Plexi glass

Post by Ian Richardson »

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section. Looking for some advice
We are cutting 3/16" Plexi glass. Ordered a 1/4" O flute single wing bit from my supplier. Just wondering about feed rate, rpm etc.
Would like to here from anyone with some experience with cutting plexi
Thanks
And yes I have contacted my supplier for information
Thanks guys
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Re: Cutting Plexi glass

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Not trying to be obtuse, but there are two general types of Plexi, cast and extruded I think. They both machine a bit different, but if your edge finish isn't critical, then it won't likely matter for you.

I use these settings for a 3/8" O flute mirror finish Onsrud bit (62-733). 100IPM feed, 100IPM plunge, 12000rpm spindle speed. I have yet to set up the roughing pass in the new control nesting update, but plan on using it on the next cut in this material. I'll use the roughing pass to leavea skin, and then the finish pass will cut all the way through and about 0.005" of the leftover roughing pass. This ~should~ give a perfect edge. As always, YMMV and if ou have the waste, make some test cuts to dial in the settings for your spindle and table.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Ian Richardson
Company Name: Millworx

Post by Ian Richardson »

Thanks for that Stuart, plan on doing a bit of testing first. Didn't want to snap a bit with wrong speeds
:beer: cheers....from a distance. Stay safe
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

What happens more often than snapping bits is the stuff melting as it cuts and re-sticking to the edge. Nearly impossible to clean up after that happens. So to be safe, we usually do multiple passes at maybe 1/8" max cutting depth. Do this in a climb direction down to the skin pass, then do your skin pass in the conventional direction, that way bit flex works in your favor so that the final pass leaves a smooth edge. Good luck...
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12