Anyone working with Avonite/other acrylic solid surfaces?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Anyone working with Avonite/other acrylic solid surfaces?

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

I have a project to cut 7-8 sheets out of 1/2\" Avonite and would like to know the following:
What kind of bit would you use?
What RPM would you use?
What feed speed would you use?
Would you use climb or conventional for the best edge?

I would like to use a 1/4\" bit if possible for best yield. RPM and Feed depend on bit but how much on color. I will have 3-4 colors, Cairo, Black coral, New castle and maybe a blue. I know with sintra there was a HUGE difference between black and white. White cut like butter but the same settings in black gummed up the bit very fast.

Have you also had any experience with doing a color fill?
I will be engraving these on our laser and then coloring the text so they will have contrast. Our rep suggested a product called \"MEK P9\",autobody places use this he said.
It is a catalyst that would allow us to tint it ourselves

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hey Mike,

We machine solid surface all the time and have good success with a 1/4\" upshear with 1\" cut length. Put the tool as far in the collet as the spiral cut will allow as this will eliminate flex. Run 18,000 rpm at 150 to 180 ipm to start and if it is cutting okay then maybe go to 200. If the material is 100% acrylac it will machine faster than a polyester blend. Hope this helps.

Forrest
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Hey guys. Do you know of any solid surface material that I can buy without being a certified installer? I would like to experiment with some.

Brian
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Brian,

In less you have some crazy buying power I don't think any distributer will sell to you even for playing with, however a local fab shop may sell you some large chunks and a tube of glue. Most companies will act like its rocket science but its really all about preparation and following all the steps. Hope you have success.

Forrest
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Check with a Formica dealer, most stock Formica solid surface, they sell to anyone with a shop in my area.
Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Guys! I'll check it out.

Brian