Tooling Error in Rolling Nest

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Bill OConnell

Tooling Error in Rolling Nest

Post by Bill OConnell »

I created a tall cabinet in eCabinets and sent it to Rolling Nest. On the doors there are 32mm diameter holes for the hinges. The largest tool I have is 1/2\" I recall from controller training that a hole cannot be interpreted at more than twice the diameter of the tool. Is that correct? If so, I guess I need to either purchase a 32mm bit or one that is at least 16mm in diameter. Is that true?

If I remove the doors from the nesting, the error goes away.
Woodworking the Way You Want It
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Bill,
I think this would be considered a \"pocket\" and I suspect you don't have anything in the \"pocket tool setup\" on the settings page of rolling nest.

Or if you do have something there, it doesn't exactly match the diameter of the bit as set in the controller's \"tool set-up\"

I would set-up \"pocket tool diameter\" to .5\" (or whatever it's actual diameter is in tool set-up) \"Step %\" to 90 \"clean-up amount\" to .020\"

I think the interpolation settings are only used for through bores, you can set the max size interpolation to whatever you want for each bit, but if is more than twice the size of the bit, you will create a plug. i.e. projectile.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

David,

Your response was dead on. I changed the tool diameter to 0.5 and the CNC code was generated without error.

Thanks.

:P
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

Okay, now that I had successfully created the CNC code, I ran the program to cut the doors. For the hinges it successfully bored the two holes where the screws would go (Salice Rapido hinges). Then it cut the cup, leaving a small stub instead of a plug, but measuring it, it was 1 1/4\" in diameter, which looked right, but then it cut another circle around the cup hole, obliterating the to bored holes. The diameter of this larger hole is 2 5/16\". What am I missing?

:cry:
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Before we go chasing a bug that may have been fixed, what version of eCabinets and rolling nest are you using?

I don't route hinge cup holes, anyone doing this from eCabinets with success?
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

My eCabinets is version 4.08, rolling nest I believe is the latests (5.4?) as I just got the machine last week.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

The latest version of rolling nest is 4.57 and was released 6/10. You can download it from Thermwood.com. Look for the \"Control Nesting Update\" on the left side near the bottom of the list. You can tell what version of rolling nest you're running on the rolling nest title bar.

I'll try to get a chance to do some testing here today and see what my machine does.

My first step would be to confirm the problem exists with the lastest rolling nest release and then gather up the ecabinets file (.hsf, esj. or .esa) the .twd, and .cnc files and get them to Thermwood.

Regards
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

We were at version 4.49 of Rolling Nest. I downloaded the 4.57 and re-ran the part and it did not create a second circle around the first. I am still getting a small plug in the middle since my bit is less than 1/2 the diameter of the hole. Is that something that I have to live with or is there another setting to clean that up?
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Bill,
As far as I'm concerned that's a bug, or a setting I'm not familiar with. As a quick work-around, you might try adding a 1/2\" hole to the center of your hardware hole pattern. i.e. a 1/2\" hole with the same center and depth as your 35 mm hole.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Hinge cup holes

Post by Rob Davis »

Bill,

You asked if anyone is successfully doing the cup hinge holes in ECabinets. Yes, we have ALTHOUGH it took a long time to get it right. You must use hardware hole editor, associating it with the proper hinge and once you create it and do it, do NOT edit it after you have created a cabinet. The \"extra hole\" in your response sounds like our problem after editing a pattern and it just apparently got lost and did whatever it wanted!

We aren't the most experienced around but it does work for us. So don't give up!
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

Rob,

How have things been since eCabinets class?

We were following the process of putting the hole pattern in associated with hardware and we had the initial problem, but when we upgraded to the latest version of rolling nest, the problem seemed to clear. What we are still seeing is that in using a 1/2\" bit we are getting a plug in the middle of the hole. Perhaps some rolling nest setting we eliminate that. We'll keep playing. Thanks for your input.