Tool holder upfit problem

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Tool holder upfit problem

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Thermwood or anyone else,

Just mounted my 7 tool holder upfit in placement of 4 bar style holders and have a problem. The holders are 1.5\" lower than the originals and the router envelope won't allow the Z axis to go low enough to pick up a tool. Now I know that I can change the Z bounds setting but then it won't stop my router from bottoming out in the table if there ever is a code problem. The other option that I have is to extend the tool holder mounting post higher by 1.5\". Has anyone else dealt with this and or is Thermwood listening this weekend?

The other very small issue that I have is that the controller update for the tool holder didn't have the tool positions already in place, this is not a big problem as I am fully capable of programing these in but it would have been nice to have this in the instructions.

Thanks for a great looking peice of hardware and hope to here from someone soon as my router is dead in the water.

Forrest
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Forrest,

Your best bet is to call in to tech support at 800-221-3865 and they can help you.

thanks,
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thanks Jason,

Was hoping someone was listening over the weekend. Already talk to someone this morning.

Forrest
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank you Thermwood,

I got everything straight and the tool holders work well. I already need more. Guess I'll just have to buy another machine.

Thanks again to Jeff and Dan in the retrofit department,
Forrest
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

Forrest,

I currently have the 4 tool holder and would like to add tools in the bar style configuration. The tech service guy at Thermwood said that wasn't possible. Can you tell me more about your upgrade? Like the type of machine, who supplied the hardware and software, etc.

Any information would be appriciated.

Regards,

Rob
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Robert,

I have a M40 with a 5X12 table and 7 tools on the end of the table. I had to remove the old bar style and replace with a solid plate that the tool holders mount to. The tool holders are the same as on the typewriter changer so the downside is no tools over 2\". The upfit only cost me about $2000 after shipping and tax. A small price to add 3 more tools. I do believe they can put 7 tools on a 4X table as well.

Forrest
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Barstyle Tool Changer Upgrades

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Robert,

Upgrades of this sort are usually supplied by Thermwood since PLC changes in the control may be required. (Thermwood has engineered these options and upgrades and know what works.)

The reason that you may not be able to upgrade your 4 position barstyle tool changer might be because you have a Cabinet Shop 40 or 45 and a drill bank... Am I correct? (There may be another reason that I am not aware of. It would be best to clarify this with Thermwood.)

The standard Cabinet Shop (CS) 4 position \"push-in/pull-out\" barstyle, besides being economical and handling the tooling requirements for standard blind dado construction, has a spacing that accommodates the drill bank unit's clearance requirement. The Multi-Purpose (MP) models usually have a barstyle unit that loads and unloads the tool in a lateral type move. This version requires some additional clearance between the brackets for this \"from the side\" approach. (The MP barstyle brackets can handle slightly larger tool diameters.)

The CS 7 position upgrade \"squeezes\" the extra 3 positions into the same overall space, thus reducing the spacing between the holder brackets.

If you have a drill bank mounted on the side of the main spindle it can interfere with the tool holders at the back of the machine during toolchanges if they are spaced too closely together. Thus, if you have a drill bank - the CS 7 position barstyle on a 40, 45 or 53 is a no go. (7' wide South African models possibly an exception.)

If you have the drill bank and the 4 position barstyle toolchanger on your CS 40 or 45 AND require additional toolchange possibilities, you may have to consider retrofitting a Typewriter Toolchanger onto the head. This would give you 5 additional toolchange positions. The added benitfit to this is that you could then move your more commonly used tools (such as your standard eCab tooling) to the Typewritter Toolchanger, which would result in overall faster cycle times due to the quicker \"in-place\" toolchanges. The barstyle positions could then be reserved for less freqently used tools that still need to be available. (A Bulk Toolchanger is yet another possibility adding, I believe, 25 additional toolchange positions... but this may be overkill if you only need a couple more tools available.)

Note: It is always best to speak directly with Thermwood regarding your specific machine and configuration. There may be other variables that determine what can and cannot be retrofitted to your machine. Call and speak to Tech Services.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation