More DXF layer issues

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

More DXF layer issues

Post by Nick M Singer »

It is claimed in the manual that you can name layers sequentially viz. centerline1, centerline2, centerline3 etc. I tried this in an attempt to create a toolpath that cuts progressivly deeper ie the geometries follow the same path but are named in sequence with a different z factor. Rolling nest only creates code for one layer
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Nick,
The geometry needs to be slightly offset for this to work. Try Offsetting each layers geometry .001 from the other layers. We ran into this using chain comp out to cut half way through the material and outline to finish the cut. In our case we made the chain comp out layer .001 bigger then the outline layer and it read both layers.

Let me know if this works for you
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Aha you have inspired me Bill a little lateral thinking is needed. I want to cut basin cut outs into solid mahogany tops, so I am going to define the cut out at half the depth using chaincompin and the full depth using chaincompout, geometry offset by exactly the diameter of the tool. I fail to see why one should offset the geometry as you explained, perhaps Thermwood should have a look at it!
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Nick,
What you are suggesting should work just fine. I never bothered, preferring the ease of not having to offset the outline line. For these parts we are cutting 1 1/4 particle board so the extra tiny bit of material did not matter.
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Guys,

This is on the list to get fixed.

thanks,
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Jason howabout an addition to the layer that allows you to set a number of additional passes with progressively deeper cuts such as \"outline z10p0, z20p0,z25p0\" the last z dimension setting the thickness of the material.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Jason howabout an addition to the layer that allows you to set a number of additional passes with progressively deeper cuts such as \"outline z10p0, z20p0,z25p0\" the last z dimension setting the thickness of the material.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

I like Nick's idea... take it a step further and make it available for all layers. I frequently use the techniques that Bill descibed not only for thick material, but also for small parts or parts that don't have much left to them after the all the pockets are cut.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com