Thermwood shopping. Moving gantry vs. moving table?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Hi guys,

I'm considering a thermwood router for my cabinet and furniture shop. If space is no problem which is better? Considering accuracy, reliability, speed and fixturing individual parts.

Hope this is right place to ask this.

Thanks,

steve
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

I can not see an advantage to a moving gantry other than space saving. The units are obviously more difficult to track using 2 servos and are more expensive.
CameronEchols

Post by CameronEchols »

one advantage of the moving gantry is you can get the larger 5 x 10 table for cutting larger stuff.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hi Steve,

You won't regret a Thermwood weather you choose a fixed or moving gantry. We have a 5x12 fixed gantry and are very happy with it. I've always been alittle concerned with moving gantry because of high center of gravity forces on the rails and the fact that the part moving is like a small car driving back and forth in your shop. However the new C45 is a nice looking router with faster ramp up but slower traverce from what I hear. If you have the space I see no real advantage to a moving gantry. Just think through very carefully the available options for each model being considered. For instance will you cut solid surface which is 12' long? Will you drill lots of full line bore holes? You may want the 9 spindle drill block. Will you require many diferent tools? You may want to get 7 tools on the end of the table and the typewriter changer. Your salesperson can help you with all these things and the guys on the forum are always more than happy to give there own preferances. Hope this helps.

Forrest
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Not true Cameron! I have a 10 x 7 fixed gantry CS 40
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Nick,

I believe that in North America, the largest table size usually produced for the C40 and C45 is 5' x 12'. The C42 is also available in a Dual-5' x 12' Table size.

The South African variants of the C40 and C45 are available in the 7' x ?' size are probably due to the size of your sheet stock. (Hopefully you guys have panel lifters to help load those 7' x 10' sheets! <smile>)
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

No Brad we just start the day with a hearty breakfast. I dont think anyone here in Cape Town uses panel lifters. Those vacuum operated lifters look pretty interesting and would certainly optimize my labour usage