Method to cut at varying depth

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Method to cut at varying depth

Post by Nick M Singer »

Is there any way to get RN to cut at a gradually increasing and or decreasing depth in a straight line using dxfs? Imagine if you will I cut in a straight line using a ball cutter but plunge gradually in and then travel along for a short distance and then come out gradually The result would be a groove with tapered ends
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

What software are you using? I would think that you can draw the line in 3D and then just toolpath the line with the Ball end or Ball nose bit on the center line, no offsets.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Mike
That is the thing, RN does not seem to have a way to handle 3D geometries other than depth of cut when generated from DXFs. I am using Turbo Cad but I am thinking this might be a job for something like BobCad/Cam. I can cut a straight line using a ball cutter from a geometry generated in TCad, but it will plunge to the depth set by the layer name and then pull straight out when the line is prescribed. I can not get the cutter to move in an arc in the Z axis
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Nick,
I have not tried DXF files in RN because I use Bobcad21 to draw the part and export as a DXF to either ArtcamPro9 for 3D and modeling or Insignia 3.6 for 2D. It sounds like you are trying to get a chip carve look. Is this a small or large project? Are you in a hurry? I am preparing for a conference next week and am short handed right now. Maybe you could send me the file and a description of what you are trying to acheive and I could run a quick toolpath for you. What model Thermwood do you have? I have a C40 5x8 and a C42 with twin 5x5's (both are 2002) and an assortment of posts for each.

Let me know if this might help,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ha! spot on Mike I am trying to get a \"chip carve\" effect. I have to make these MDF doors which are going to be lacquerd gloss black and the whole surface must look like its been carved with rows of short carved grooves running in parallel. I can get hold of BobCad and try it if you think it will do the job.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Nick,
yes you can do it in BobCad21 but ArtcamPro would be much easier and much faster. I am trying to find the example of what you are looking for. I will try to send it later.

Found it. This is not mine but was designed and toolpathed in Artcampro
Attachments
chip carved doors.JPG
chip carved doors.JPG (623.96 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Joe Stone

Post by Joe Stone »

Mike,

That is not my personal taste but I sure can appreciate a well done piece in other styles.
Joe Stone

Precision Concept Cutting
http://www.pccmich.com