Cadcode quickcam and thermwood

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Cadcode quickcam and thermwood

Post by Neville Bastian »

I am looking at a thermwood CNC to replace my multicam machine. I have spent a long time getting my system for doing carcass and door work right on my current machine using cadcode and cadcodes quickcam software. I was wondering if anyone knows this software and if I could either stay with this and gradually migrate to Ecabinets. The stress of getting my current system working is still too fresh in my memory to try and get ecabinets going from day one.
Thanks in advance Neville
Neville Australia
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Neville,

I have personally integrated or have helped to integrate a couple of other brands of cabinet software that produced nested based code for a Thermwood. Virtually all of the systems out there, yours included, should be able to create functional code for a Thermwood. The 91000 and newer GEN2 controls handle standard G & M code. No surprises.

The key to getting the output right from your current system is to provide your software vendor/supporter code examples for the Thermwood machine so that they can configure their \"post processors\" or code generation modules to output the correct intialization and tool change sequences. This part should not be that difficult for Cadcode, although their assitance may not be a \"no cost\".

I am sure that Thermwood would be happy to assist you and the Cadcode people to get everything right and get your Thermwood pumping out cabinet parts, etc quickly.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Thanks Brad for the reply.
The quickcam side of cadcode produces a CSV which Cadcode grabs and optimises and sends to whatever machine you wish. I think Thermwood can also read CSV's so this may be a beter cleaner way of doing it.
With Thermwoods optimiser is that any good? Its just Cadcodes sometimes does some bad optimising and we can rearrange the parts for less waste on a few of the parts. Have you compared Thermwoods with others on the market?
The other one is the different bed sizes. the bigger the bed the more the money. Do you have any figures on benifits of going from say the 2.4m by 1.2m and the 3.6m by 1.8m size. The machine costs are higher but are you better off than having two thermwoods at 2.4m by 1.2m as the square meters is very close.

Regards Neville
Neville Australia