DXF files loading and cutting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Brent Bogardus

DXF files loading and cutting

Post by Brent Bogardus »

I don't really understand how to prepare dxf files for loading and cutting. I try to learn what I can by reading everything on the forum, but a lot of the time I am not sure what I am reading. A couple of times I have been given dxf files to cut, but was unable to open them. I found it easier for me to just write the program in G code as they were simple shapes. I have an older version of Vellum Draft that I believe can create dxf files. Does anyone know this program, and if it will work, or do I need to purchase something else?

Also what would have to be done in order to cut parts from another shops Cabinet Vision software?
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

DXFs and the Control Nesting Manual

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Brent,

Follow the following link. It will take you to the Online Control Nesting Manual. On the menu to the left you will find a section on DXF - formats, layer names, etc...

Control Nesting Manual

Hope that helps...

BTW: There is also a section at the bottom titled: Unique Requirements for Software Packages. This, in addition to the layer names and formats in the DXF section, should help you out with the CV output required to nest \"their\" parts in Control Nesting. The source of the CV DXF files has to have the ability to write out the layered DXF files. The layer names, including depths, etc can be configured in the \"Tool Library\" within CV so that the DXF is formated properly for importing into Control Nesting. (The OUTLINE TOOL will need to create the OUTLINE layer. The tools for dadoing will create the DADO layers. Drilling the DRILL layers, etc, etc Z and D parameters can also be configured as required.)

Hope that helps as well... :D
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Working with DXF files....

Post by Brad McIntosh »

BTW:

Your Vellum Draft may be fine for creating layered DXF files. Can’t really say.

If there are individuals that are looking for a tool to produce layered DXF files, Mastercam Design LT is available. (The LT stands for \"Lite\"). This version of Mastercam is a drawing only package and costs only a few hundred dollars. A benefit of learning to use this package is that the drawing skills acquired give you a head start if you were to move up to the the CAM version of Mastercam in the future.

Just another 2 cents... (I wonder how much I've thrown in to date?? :) )
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation