wood carving suggestions

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Eric Montbriand

wood carving suggestions

Post by Eric Montbriand »

Need suggestions on why our carvings are coming out looking choppy or with flat spots. Art cam was used to program it, also has a tangancy factor of 8. When i reduce the tanfac the quality gets better but the program run time increases signifigantly. here's the catch, this program was being ran on another one of our Thermwood machines and it produced a perfect part with no flat looking spots. I know and understand what the tanfac does. I also understand that no two machines are indentical, even though both are model 42. Are there any other machine settings that could separate these two machines and produce different results?

Thanks
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

If you run the same program on both identical machines, with one looking great and the other 'choppy', then I would say it is a problem with the machine...not the program. This could be caused by a variety of things such as backlash, axis are not running simultaneous, etc. I would highly recommend calling into our Field Service department for further assesment of the machine. (800) 533-6901

One other thing to look at, compare your axis accelerations to each machine by pressing Ctrl+T.
Eric Montbriand

Ok, i know our machine will be getting the leadscrew changed on atleast 2 axis this month. How would the axis acceleration affect performance?

Thank you,
Eric M
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Well, I was thinking if it were set too high, that might cause the axis to run rough....I could be wrong though. You could try placing a G803 or G805 at the beginning of the file which may help. This will slow the program down some but it's worth a try.
Eric Montbriand

I will give it a try, see what happens.

Thank you again,
Eric M