1\" solid surface

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael RA Greschuk

1\" solid surface

Post by Michael RA Greschuk »

Hi I'm looking to machine some 1\" solid surface (acrylic) has anyone done this type of machining If anyone has what tooling did you use,feed speeds,spindle speeds :?: any imput would be appreciated :) thanks in advance
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Michael,

I am not too familiar with 1\" solid surface but was told that a .5\" dia., 3 flute up shear from Vortex. The part number is VX04450. We generally cut .5 solid surface at about 250 to 300 IPMs at 18000 RPMs. You can call 800-533-6901 and talk to Eric Shearn.

thanks,
Michael RA Greschuk

Thanks for that info Jason we were using a 3/8 2 flute upshear for our .5 solid surface but felt we might have to use something diffrent for such thick material After a closer look I found out the material is 1\"1/8 and we might look at 2 passes Thanks again :)
Eric Montbriand

Post by Eric Montbriand »

Hi Michael, solid surface is what i work with. We cut solid surface on our Thermwood with a 3 flute down spiral, Onsrud bit, i'm pretty sure it's onsrud. We cut 1/2\" material 20,000 RPM at 600 IPM, Works great. For 1 1/8\" material you could try and run it at similar RPM and IPM, just lower everything for the added chip load. Two depth passes would work fine too.

I've also cut 1/8\" off the perimeter of 2.5\" thick solid surface with a 3/4\" downspiral 2 flute, 18,000 RPM at 400 IPM. If that helps any. You might have to play with RPM and IPM to get the right cut and tool life, which is what we had to do.
Michael RA Greschuk

Great information Eric Thank you :)