skiping holes

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

skiping holes

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hey Guys,

This is nothing new but just wondering if its being fixed. When I run parts with shelf holes the router bores 4 holes of five for all the patterns then comes back and bores the last hole in all the sets. I'm on 4.94 RN.

Forrest
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Forrest, I am running the latest update and do not have that problem.
Mike
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

i run into that problem all the time. we use dowel construction, so we have lots of holes all over our parts, and the machine is constantly jumping around to drill them in no order that i can figure out, and deffinately not optimizing cut-time. it's just one of those things i shake my head at some times.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Forrest I guess I took for granted you were talking about a drill bank,mine is fine with latest update in rolling nest.
Mike
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Forrest,

Since you have a drill bank, can you send me the cnc file for one of these problem jobs that skips the hole?

Hi Mark,

The way the holes are supposed to drill is after the machine drills the first hole, it should go to the next closest hole. If you do not think that this is the case, send me the .cnc file for a program that does it incorrectly.

thanks,
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Also make sure your Drill Bank Boundaries are set properly.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Forrest,

I drill my shelf holes individually with a 5mm bit. I am running RN 5.01 and just checked it. Same results as you are getting. My cabinet was NOT created in eCab V5 Build 10. I don't know if that would change anything.

Brian
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

We do not have a drill bank and use a 5mm or 3mm drill for shelf holes. We have had this problem for as long as I remember. It has been on this forum before. We have found it to do this regardless of how many holes you drill. It is always only the last hole in the line. 5 holes or 30 holes, same result. It is not the end of the world but still makes you scratch your head when it is running!
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Guys,

Very sorry to start a conversation and leave you hanging. I do not have a drill bank and this is something that has been around for a while. It will drill 4 of the 5 holes in all the patterns and then come back and drill the fifth hole in all the patterns. Not a big deal just a little annoying. I also noticed that it started drilling some of my 5mm KD holes twice.

Will upgrade this weekend and see what happens.

Forrest
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

I am still running 4.94 (No time to upgrade) and we see this on a regular basis. If there are three adjustable shelves each with 5 sets of holes, it will drill 4 sets of holes for each then go back and add the fifth set. This issue has been around so long, I really don't even notice it anymore, but it is something that should be dealt with at some point.
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
Brent Bogardus

Post by Brent Bogardus »

I have also had this problem for quite a while and just thought I had something set up wrong. Today I cut some end panels that had rows of 60 5mm holes. The machine drilled 59 holes up the x axis, moved over about 12 inches on the y axis drilled 59 holes down the x axis, moved over to the next panel did the same thing 59 holes. After that it came back and drilled the 60th hole on each of the four rows. Glad to hear it's not just me.
Brent Bogardus

Post by Brent Bogardus »

I have also had this problem for quite a while and just thought I had something set up wrong. Today I cut some end panels that had rows of 60 5mm holes. The machine drilled 59 holes up the x axis, moved over about 12 inches on the y axis drilled 59 holes down the x axis, moved over to the next panel did the same thing 59 holes. After that it came back and drilled the 60th hole on each of the four rows. Glad to hear it's not just me.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

all of my programs have the problem of the machine jumping all over the sheet to cut the holes in absolutely no logical order that i can figure out. here is the cnc file i just ran, try the very first sheet, it goes all over the place.
apparently i cannot upload a cnc file, so here it is in a zip file...
Attachments
holes.zip
(23.12 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
CameronEchols

Post by CameronEchols »

I have this problem also seems to waste a lot of time jumping around
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

Hi Guys

Same problem on my machine.

RN 4.94
Rob Frenette