Diameter of tool didn't work

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Sean O' Hare

Diameter of tool didn't work

Post by Sean O' Hare »

i'm getting this error message when I try to put a 3mm rebate on the edge of a part. Seems the controller wont use the 6.35mm bit to cut the rebate. It wont cut into where the outline cut is going. If I make the rebate 7mm, no problem. I think that might also be happening with the kd holes on the edge of the board. I think I remember a post suggesting that a pocket and a line be stopped a fraction off the edge , but that doesn't help here. Any ideas?

Thanks
Seano
sean
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Sean,

In Control Nesting and under the settings area, what is your pocket tool diameter set to?
Sean O' Hare

Post by Sean O' Hare »

Hi Jason,
6.35mm. Tried 5mm as well.

Thanks
Sean
sean
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Sean,
If you want to make this happen from eCabinets, I think you'll need to cheat.

Here's what I would try:

Draw a .30 mm wide dado .30mm from the edge of the part.
Create a new tool in tool manager with a diameter of .2mm, set the tool's actuator ID, Actuator position number, tool changer, tool changer position the same as your 5mm tool.
(This will make the router pick-up your 5mm tool when ever CN creates code that asks for the .2mm tool)
Set-up the .2mm tool in CN tool set-up to perform rout/dado operations using the feeds and speeds of your 5mm tool.
MEASURE (SET DAYLIGHT VALUE) OF THE NEW .2MM TOOL! (NOT THE 5MM TOOL)

When CN sees the .30 mm wide dado, it will write the dado's g-code using your .2mm tool. When the controller grabs the .2mm tool it will have the wrong size tool and will cut a dado 2.4 mm wider on each side than the .30 mm dado you requested. Since one edge of the dado was programmed to be .6 mm from the edge of the part, the \"error\" will result in removing 3mm of material inside the part outline and some meaningless amount outside the part outline.

Disclaimer: It's late... so check my math closely. Test it, dry run it. If you're not comfortable as to why it will work, don't try it.
I don't run my machine in metric so I'm assuming the controller will support this level of accuracy.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Sean,

Do you have a 3mm tool in your library?
Sean O' Hare

Post by Sean O' Hare »

David, Jason,

Sorry for the delay, just back off holiday.

David, thanks for the advice, good work-around. I was afraid to try something like this in case the problem was that I was missing something obvious.

Jason, I have a 3mm set for drill only. Looking at the other posts, I assume I can use that if I use zero clean-up?

Thanks,
Sean.
sean
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

I think this is something that needs to be addressed in a coming build. The problem is that we use a .5\" tool for example but after it is worn a little and we load its diameter as 0.494\", the pocket operation won't go because it won't find a .5\" tool. Set the tool back to .5 and no problem with the code but now the parts are too tight and don't fit. I think this is a new issue with a later version of RN because we didn't used to have this but now we do.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Rob,

Because you changed the tool diameter, you need to change the pocket tool diameter to the same number.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Rob,
Your issue is a different one. When you change your pocket tool diameter in tool set-up, you need to change it in on the settings page of control nesting too.

It's always been this way.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Duh! Sorry for the brain fart! Guess that's why you guys are gurus and wizards and I am just a member!