dado tooling

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Matt Beaty

dado tooling

Post by Matt Beaty »

Ever since the update to 5.02 on the controller my dados are all being cut with the 3/8\" bit instead of the 1/2\" bit that it has been using for several months. What do I need to do to force the cnc to use the 1/2\" bit again?
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Matt,

What is the size of your dado? Did you change material thickness when creating the twd file? What tools do you have set for your operations in the Tooling section of Control Nesting?

thanks,
Josh Meyer

Incorrect tool for Dado

Post by Josh Meyer »

Matt,
You need to verify the size of the dado being cut to be sure the 1/2\" diameter tool will work. If you have a .5\" wide dado or less it obviously won't select that tool. Make sure the diameter of that tool is set up correctly in tool management. (F10, F9, F2). Make sure for example, you didn't accidently miss the decimal point and the diameter is set to 5 instead of .5! The other thing you should check it the priority level of that tool as it is set in the list of operation tools in the tooling dialog of the Control Nesting Software. If you have a 3/8\" dia. tool set up higher in the list of operation tools it will use that tool first. If you want to force it to use the 1/2\" dia. tool you will need to set that tool higher in the list of operation tools.
Matt Beaty

dado tooling

Post by Matt Beaty »

Jason And Josh,

Thanks for responding but I was able to sidestep this problem. I erased all tooling and re-entered the exact same tools and there functions and was able to proceed without incident. Who knows why!? Thanks again.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Josh,
Having a little trouble with your avatar thingy....
Is that a picture of you in the first ever v-5 training class , or is it a picture of me in machine training class??
Seen you at IWF, but you were smoozing and i was on a mission to buy an edgebander, so couldnt hang around to say hey..
Hope things are going your way, thanks again for help through those trying times for me!!!
Mike(aka, the fishin machine)
Hope I left some seed in those local lakes!!!!
Josh Meyer

Post by Josh Meyer »

Mike, Good to hear from you! I am glad everything is going better for you. I knew it would. You had a TON of information to retain attending all of those classes in such a short period of time. If you need any questions answered, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or give me a call and we will get you squared away.
As for the avatar, You definately hit the nail on the head, although it may be a reflection of me every day lately with the big day coming up this weekend!! : )
I've been keeping the line wet. I am sure the area lakes will surrive, but I don't think they could withstand another summer like this past one. You aren't planning on spending another 3 weeks here are you??? : )