typewriter

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Taylor
Guru Member

typewriter

Post by Mark Taylor »

I'm having a problem with my typewriter tool changer...several months ago we started having a problem where the toolholder in the #2 position would not seat properly after a tool change and would fall out on the table or worse the floor.

In assessing the problem at that time we found the toolholder in that position was slightly rusty - the machine itself was fairly new. Thermwood sent me a new toolholder and everything was fine.

Recently, (last several times we have run the machine over a two week periord) we are again having a problem with the toolholders in the typewriter not seating properly and falling out after a tool change. It now is random...doesn't happen every time, but seems to be more often when the machine has just been started up. Now the #2 and #3 tool holders seem to be the problem, however #1 & #5 have both fallen out as well.

The toolholders seem to be find - I can't find any problem with the seats and it's random...it doesn't happen every time (although with the #2 toolholder it falls out more often than not).
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

mark,
Take a look at plastic hand that your tool snaps into. There is a sponge strip around the prongs. I have brought them closer to the tips and it puts a little more pressure on them. Also you may have to adjust your air pressure for each of the cylinders. Are they popping through or not enough umph to seat them? also are you using the same tool for long periods of cutting like several hours for the same bit? When we use the same PCD bit for a days run it sticks a little and then BAM it pops out and sometimes it doesn't seat well and we have to reposition it so that next time it is called up it is straight. We also clean the toolholder with scotchbrite pads to remove the rust. I think it is the heat from using it for sustained periods (hours of cutting in ten minute cycles). I also try to replace the tool holders every 4-6-8 months depending on amount of use.
When all toolholders are clean and the bits are not in the table for long runs the toolchangers are quick and quiet. When I am cutting Ecabinet files it works great. When I am doing the high production runs it may happen when we change the part file and it needs a different tool.
Being in Houston, Texas we have a high humidity factor but the CNC room is encloseble and has it's own AC unit for it. I very rarely have to release any water from the compressed air supply line cup on the machine.

hope some of this may help,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mark,

Are the tools poping out loudly and pushing thru the tool holder? Often this is because the tool holders are not being cleaned and have buildup that becomes sticky when ran in the head for a long time. One option that will fix the tool is to purchase the new style plastic clips. They have a flange that does not allow the tool to go thru. This will most likely fix your problem but you will also need to clean the tapered ends once a week with a mild scotch brite pad.

Forrest
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

I think Michael may have been right with the air pressure - however I don't understand why it's so random...

Forest the tools aren't really popping or pushing through...they aren't actually seating into the holder, because as soon as the arm moves back out into position and gantry starts to move the tool falls right out. Sometimes the tool will fall out as soon as the arm moves back into position.

I've checked all the plastic fingers and tool holders and nothing seems to be wrong...they are all clean.

I think the culprit is the air pressure when it goes to seat it back into the arm...but I don't know how to adjust that pressure.

Mark
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Mark,
That will be one for the Service dept at Thermwood. The 2 guys that have shown me how to do it are Josh Hodges over here in New Brunfalls (I think that's how you spell it) Texas and the other was the service tech from Thermwood that came to install my C42 last year. There are little thumb screws that I think have red lock tite on them and you can adjust the speed in which the arms actuate.

If they are falling out when it moves I would think they are not seating properly in the grippers. I check mine by spinning them to see if I can pull them out easy. If it takes a little umph and you feel a click to remove them then they are in pretty good. Don't forget to check the little 3/8\" by 3/8\" black spongy type strip around the interior of the gripper. Pull it towards the tips but not too far. Compare all of them first to see where yours are set.

Forrest,
I am curious to hear more about these grippers that have a built in stop. Are they brand new or do you have to ask for them? Are they for the C40 models or for CS models or both?

thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Mark,
I had one tool holder dropping tools and I had to adjust the depth that the spindle dropped to insert the tool in to the tool holder when it was finished with the tool,only about .030. Cured my problem.
MIke
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mike K,

I'm not sure when the new style tool gripper came out but I just put on for a tool that runs a long time and would pop out and thru. It doesn't cost much and Im going to replace all of them. They also use a thick rubber band now instead of the foam strip. The new gripper is a 2 piece and all you will need is the flange which mounts over your existing gripper (I think). Buy a few of those rubber bands they are more reliable.

Forrest
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Re:

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Michael S Murray wrote:Hi Mark,
I had one tool holder dropping tools and I had to adjust the depth that the spindle dropped to insert the tool in to the tool holder when it was finished with the tool,only about .030. Cured my problem.
MIke
99.9% chance this is what needs to be done. The drop-off depth needs to be adjusted so the toolholder "pops" into the changer. The procedure on how to do this can be found in your manual, but I will try to give a short explanation;

Press F9, F3 and enter in password.
Change to correct Changer ID (top, left)
Change to correct position (towards bottom of page)
Make note of current Z value, then adjust by NO MORE than .03" at a time.
Press Done and Save changes.

Now perform a toolchange over the tabletop to see if that position works.
If everything works, don't forget to backup;
Press F9, F6

* Feel free to call into Tech Services for help!
Eric Montbriand

Post by Eric Montbriand »

You could also check the typewriter arm to see if its bent. They are alumium, and we've had almost every kind of problem that can accompany this style tool changer. If for some reason the arm get stuck and whips back, that can cause it to bend. And i'd also recomend all the other previous suggestions. We had to put a new arm next to the problem arm to see the difference. Hope this helps