Profile Modeler Help

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Profile Modeler Help

Post by Brian Shannon »

Anyone able to make this Verify tool path and write CNC in Profile Modeler? Maybe I need to do only one side at a time? This is a curved bar rail made from a cabinet part, not a diplay board or panel. I can supply my tools if anyone wants to experiment but I wanted to make sure they work @ the router first.

Thanks,

Brian
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Brian,

The Profile modeler will only cut parts that have been designed from a board or sheet stock, utilizing the Part editor.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Ryan,

This was made from sheet stock on a cabinet. After your reply, I tried another using a display panel. I get the same error when I try to verify tool path. Maybe I'll try different tools. Any other thoughts? I really want to make this work. My moulding supplier wants $1200. for a radius bar rail like this!

Brian
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Brian, I tried your bar rail and could not get it to work either except using a custom tool. I deleated region 2, that didn't help. I also tried control nesting the part, the outline was fine but the profile was just one movement and started about 2 feet off the table.
Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks for checking it Joe. The tool was made with a spline to match existing moulding. I wonder if I have some corners that are too sharp for the tooling I have in PM. Maybe I'll change my tool diameter to .001 just to check.

Thanks again!

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

No luck. I set my tool dia. to .001 and in PM I set that tool's max penitration to 3\"(was set to 3/4\"). It still gives errors.

Brian
Ryan Hochgesang

Brian,

If you could submit your.x_t files and .tol files along with the method you used to create this molding to program@thermwood.com, we can do some testing here to see what's causing issues with this particular molding. I'm seeing the errors here as well but need the above information to really get into issue.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Ryan,

I'll get the info. together later today. The problem seems to be the tool. I think the spline that I made to copy the Bar Rail contour is just not smooth enough. I'll send the tools and put together my steps later.

Thanks!

Brian
Ryan Hochgesang

Brian,

When I redraw part, I'm getting the top side of rail to render in Profile Modeler, but keep getting a Region #1 error when trying to varify or write to CNC. When you created the .tol file, had you created the .x_t file out of lines and arcs? Or did you use splines as well? I will typically get my shape with a spline, then go back and draw on top of spline using 3pt. arc command when creating any tool geometry. Could you please send me copy of .x_t file for review?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Ryan,

I did use splines. After the errors, I went over with 3pt. arch. That worked to make a tool. I am really close to cutting a part. I'll send you the new tools that seem to work(so far).

Brian
Ryan Hochgesang

Brian,

When viewing the backplotted code that I generated using mastercam and the cnc file you sent me, the image seems to show that of the profile of your part. And the perimeter cuts do not go any deeper than 2.75 which is thickness of mat. I am going to attempt to run pro on machine here as soon as a machine becomes available. When I save he design file, I typically save as assembly (.esa) and have started with display panel. I am unable to load the .hsf you sent, I get \"Error when attempting to load .hsf file\". The email tansition may have affected file.
Ryan Hochgesang

Hi Brian,

I was finally able to work with this project from start to finish and seemed to have good results. I've emailed you the files that I used for testing along with some information that you can review and study, to hopefully help you in future projects, however, I did not actually cut part. Please review and let me know if you have any questions.

Key notes for creating profile modeler parts:
- Design tool geometry using trimmed arcs and lines.
- When designing tool geometry, design tool with y axis origin in center of tool, when extruding tool in ecab part editor, center of tool geometry will be swept on centerline path clearing all material in its path.
- When setting up stock to extrude tool across in Part Editor, design centerline for tool geometry to be swept across
- When setting up stock to extrude tool across in Part Editor, remove excess material by creating closed geometry and using right click option \"Cut/Pocket Using Closed Contour\".