problem with double-pass outlines

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

problem with double-pass outlines

Post by Mark Hesketh »

at first i thought this problem was what forrest was talking about in his post http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4817, but the more i think about it, the mroe i think it is different.

all of our parts that get the double outline pass (those below a certain size) seem to be left with a small lip around the bottom. this lip is only about 1/64\" 10 1/32\", and is mostly unnoticable with particle board parts. however, it really shows up on mdf, or on any material with plam. i'm figuring it has something to do with Control Nesting, because i can run my doors through Panelmetrix, which doesn't use the Control Nesting, and all double-pass doors come out just fine.

our service and sales reps were baffled when they saw a sample of this. they had never heard of it happening before. the guys down the line are really starting to complain about it though. any ideas as to what i can do to correct this?
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Mark,
Your issue does sound like the one Forrest describes in his post. The way to test this is run a small piece using a conv. cut and then cut the same piece using a climb cut. If the ledge shows up on the conv. cut and not the climb cut, then we are looking at the same issue Forrest described. If it shows up on both types of cut, then we know we need to look into it more.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mark,

I think that the line is worse on mdf because the material is more dense. It will pull the bit into the material more when ran conv. direction.

Forrest