HAs anyone routed Maranite sheets before?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

HAs anyone routed Maranite sheets before?

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Just wondering if anyone has had experience cutting this material called Maranite I (Calcium silicate). It is used for high heat insulation and flame retarded walls. My main question is will it effect the spindle since it is sort of like cutting sheet rock and cement board. Would the grit/chaulky dust hurt the bearings or any part of the spindle or dust extraction system?

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Michael,
The HSD bearings are shielded by the design of the router so you really don't have to worry about dust or debris getting into the bearings. The bearings that you should worry about are the linear bearings and the ballnuts. If you have the autolube system, make sure it is functioning correctly, if not, grease the bearings daily. Either way, you will need to try and keep the rails and leadscrews as clean as possible.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Thanks Daniel for the info but I would still like actual experience from someone who has cut this material or similar. What kind of bits? upshear, downshear, compression, solid carbide, carbide tipped or HSS, Speed of RPM and IPM, Dust extraction on or off, any preparations to CNC prior to routing and any other info that may apply.
I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1