Daylight Saving Time Issue

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Daylight Saving Time Issue

Post by Dean Fehribach »

The U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005, passed by the U.S. Congress July, 2005, extended Daylight Saving Time (DST) in the U.S. by approximately four weeks. As a result, beginning in 2007, DST will start three weeks earlier on March 11, 2007, and end one week later on November 4, 2007, resulting in a new DST period that is four weeks longer than previously observed.

Thermwood machine controls running Windows XP and 2000 are affected by this act. Microsoft will be releasing a patch for Windows XP SP2 on February 13th via Automatic Updates. Microsoft will NOT be releasing a patch for Windows 2000 as its standard support has ended.

Download the Time Change Update for Windows XP SP2 Note: This update can only be installed on Windows XP with Service Pack 2. To find out if your system has Service Pack 2 installed, Click Start->Run->Type winver and click OK. If the dialog box that comes up says \"Service Pack 2\", then it's already installed. If it does not say that, then install Service Pack 2 before installing the Time Change Update.

Download Windows XP SP2 Installer Note: This link will allow downloading of Service Pack 2 for manual deployment to machines not connected to the Internet.

For more information, go to Microsoft's web site at:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

Contact Thermwood for machine support at 800-221-3865 in the US. Do not contact Microsoft for Windows support on Thermwood machines.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much for that.
What do us 2000 users need to do?
Thanks,
Paul.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Paul, as far as I know, this DST issue only affects these countries:
  • United States
    Canada
    Mexico
    Brazil
    Uruguay
    Israel
    Egypt
    Sri Lanka
To answer about Windows 2000, time must be updated either manually or by modifying the registry. Registry modification can be found here (it's not for the faint of heart):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much for that. Ill just leave it be for now and see how I get on further down the track.
Thanks,
Paul.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

near the bottom of that KB article you will find a utility program you can download to change the timezone. It is named tzedit.exe and has instructions on how to use it so you don't have to manually fiddle with the registry.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin

Post by Dean Fehribach »

It should be noted that the operation of the Thermwood Supercontrol is not affected by the change in Daylight Saving Time; only the Timestamp of files that are created/modified is affected.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood