Just upgraded control

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Saul Sawyer

Just upgraded control

Post by Saul Sawyer »

Hi,

We have a model 53 that we just got upgraded so we could use e-cabs with rolling nest. All the new capabilities seem to work fine, but we're having a hard time getting our old programs to work right. I thought I might post some of the issues we've been having on here in hopes that someone might be able to clarify this stuff for me.

We have a bar style tool changer with 5 tools numbered 101-105. The way I'm used to calling for a tool is M101T101 for example, and then turning on cutter comp with G42T101 or G41T101. Now, with the new tool manager, does this eliminate the use for the T codes? And can I just label that tool as #1 and call it using M1?

Also, for some reason our machine is now having a problem changing tools. It works fine the first few times, but after running a few programs it brings up a drawbar not up/down error. We can reboot the control and it will change tools a few times again, but then it brings up the error message again.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help given.

Saul
Saul Sawyer
Lauritzen & Makin Inc.
817-921-0218
http://www.lmakin.com
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Saul,

With the new Windows operating system on the Thermwood control there is a Tool Manager (F10, F9, F2) option for tooling setup. In order for the machine to operate correctly, this area must be set up properly with the correct Tool Dia., Life Left, Daylight Value, Actuator ID, Actuator Position, Tool Changer, and Tool Changer Position (You can refer to machine operating manual for details). Then when calling tools in a program, you will use the following sequence to call a tool and start the router:

S18000 (Spindle Speed)
T101 M03 (Call Tool #101, Turn Spindle on Clockwise direction)
G0 X#Y# (Index Move)
M31 (Check Router for Full Speed)

OR

If you still want to use your macro tool calls, the macros should still exist:

S18000 (Spindle Speed)
M101 (Call Tool #101, Turn Spindle on, Check for spindle to be full speed)
G0 X#Y# (Index Move)

The first method will cycle through a little faster than calling the macro.

When using Cutter Dia. Comp., You only have to call another tool # if you are wanting to change the tool dia. being used. Otherwise, all you need to do is put a G41(Left comp.) or G42(Right comp.) command just before plunging into the material to cut, and then place a G40 just after the block of code that retracts from cutting.

As far as the tool changing problem, the pickup locations in the Toolchanger setup may be a little bit out of alignment and in need of adjustments. For further help with this issue contact Thermwood's Service Dept. for help.
Saul Sawyer

Post by Saul Sawyer »

thanks for the help Ryan. Our programs are graphing correctly now, but we're still having a problem with changing tools. I am running through some old programs today and taking the macro out of the tool call line. It seems to work with or without the macro a few times, but then errors again. It just seems like something is creating some confusion between the communication of the control and the machine. I'm wondering if using the macro (even though it will change tools a few times with it) is causing the problem. Maybe if we don't use the macro whatsoever it will keep changing tools?

I'll post whatever findings I come up with :wink:

Saul
Saul Sawyer
Lauritzen & Makin Inc.
817-921-0218
Saul Sawyer

Post by Saul Sawyer »

nope, didn't help :?

saul
Saul Sawyer
Lauritzen & Makin Inc.
817-921-0218
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Using Macros or T#'s for the tool call will not affect tool pickup and drop off when doing a tool change. The settings for the pickup/dropoff locations are held in the Tool Manager, Tool Changer Setup (F10, F9, F3, toolman). In this dialogue you will find coordinates for the different pickup/drop off locations. These locations are the absolute position relative to the machine's home position, it's a good possibility that they need adjusting because of possible movement of the holders.

Ryan