making MDF doors on three axis machine

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Roger Erismann

making MDF doors on three axis machine

Post by Roger Erismann »

What tools (router bits) do i need to mill raised panel doors on 3-axis machine?
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hi Roger...

You can use specific shape cutters or if you want to model them in the profile modeler you can simply use regular ballnose and end mills. 1/2\" and 1/4\" ballnose along with 1/2\", 1/4\" and 1/8\" end mills will do most anything you would like.

Mark
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Roger,

I purchased one of the Whiteside bit sets, and am very pleased with it. Depending on how many doors you plan to produce you might want to look at diamond tooling.

I have not tried MDF doors using the profile modeler and standard tooling as of yet.

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hey Roger,

Just an extra note in addition to Mark's statement (\"You can use specific shape cutters\"), you also have the option to use DXF files with Control Nesting. This works well if you have access to a CAD system that exports dxf files. When setting up the dxf file, you can design the centerline of where you want the custom profile tool to travel and then give that particular layer in which you drew the centerline geometry on, the name of \"centerline\", dia. of cutter to be used and the z depth to specify cut depth. For more information on using dxf files, you can go to http://www.Thermwood.com and refer to the Control Nesting Manual, under topic DXF. You can also contact us here at Thermwood(program@thermwood.com or 812 937 2284).
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Ryan,

That is how I run my MDF doors. I use bobcad to create the .dxf file and use the centerline layer to specify the specific cutters (Whiteside) for the two passes.
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

I was looking more at using e-cabs only...preferably nested with the job file...

Using the profile modeler

It was my understanding that the following steps were required in the door/drawer editor:

1 create/select tool
2 define path and depth
3 apply cut
4 save
5 apply drawer to assembly
6 nest(check for machinig)
7 create twd
8 send to CNC

What am I missing? or could you fill in some key details that often get overlooked..

Thanks, Roger
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Roger

If you're looking to just use eCabinets the easiest way to make the door is in the Door/Drawer Front Designer. Open it and choose mdf - choose your tools and layout and save the door design. Then apply it to a cabinet or assembly and write your CNC file. Nest it on the machine and it should pick up and model your mdf doors without any problem.

One suggestion however to avoid frustration in the nest....make your mdf door, in the designer as described above and then open it (just the door) in the cabinet editor. From the editor write your CNC code (lower button on left side bar) and send it to your machine control. Open the door in profile modeler (not rolling nest but the modeler F11, F5) and set up your \"generic group\" of tools and then verify the profiled regions. Once you have verified \"all\" the regions - write the CNC code. If it steps through profile modeler without any trouble, you're not likely to have any trouble in the rolling nest when sending mutiple doors.

You just need to be aware that the nest uses the \"generic\" set of tools set up in the profile modeler. Several times I have had to re-arrange of adjust the set of tools depending on the profile we are cutting. So I always step through profile modeler first and then we seldom have any further problems.

Mark
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re:

Post by Joe Soto »

Mark Taylor wrote:
You just need to be aware that the nest uses the "generic" set of tools set up in the profile modeler. Several times I have had to re-arrange of adjust the set of tools depending on the profile we are cutting. So I always step through profile modeler first and then we seldom have any further problems.

Mark
Mark, control nesting uses the default tool group from the profile modeler for profiling nested parts. So once you have a setup you like you could save it as a group called "mdf doors"or"carvings" or whatever, then set it as the default whenever you run that type of profile.
Joe
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

good point Joe! Once you have the set up right it would be simple enough to change the default set.

Mark
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

Mark, have you ever had problems when using a custom exterior tool? For me, the outward and inward offsets are backwards when they machine on the router. I have to draw the door with the wrong offset in ecabs so it machines correctly on the router.
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hi Ben...

We haven't cut any mdf doors in a while...so I can't say without running a file.

Mark