ATC issues

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Eric Montbriand

ATC issues

Post by Eric Montbriand »

We have a model 42 with 4 bar style and the 5 type writer tool positions. The issue is with the typewriter tool changing. Occasionally it will stop in the middle of a tool change. We will see the blue screen and it says ATC took too long to retract. No alarm, does NOT go into E-stop.

My questions are more of a remedy concern. The tool changer will stay in the down position, even when we reset and push estop. We have to close out the Thermwood software or shutdown the machine. Is there a way to manually retract the arm by using input/outputs and finish tool change to finish part program? Maybe scroll up in tool change sequence to a point where the sequence can repeat? Currenly we are loosing production time having to shutdown and restart.

thanks
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

ATC issues

Post by Carl Jones »

Hi Eric, The first thing I would look at is the reed switches on the typewriter arm cylinders. I think what is happening is that one or more of the switches may be out of adjustment. What you should see is when an arm is extended, the bottom red led on that cylinder should be lit. The upper red led should be off at at this point. When the arm is retracted the led's should switch states. If the led's are reacting slowly I would adjust them so they activate a little quicker than they do now. Also, something else that could be happening is that you may have a solenoid that is not switching properly causing the air not to exhaust properly when extended and retracted. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at x250.
Eric Montbriand

ATC issues

Hey that makes sense, i'll try it out. I'm still curious if the tool changer can be moved in and out using inputs and or outputs.

thanks
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

hey, i run into a similar problem fairly often. you can use the \"teach\" function to raise the head in the z direection enough to clear the typewriter arm and release it. just make sure you have someone holding the arm so it doesn't fling back and damage the tool in the head or throw the tool if it is still holding it. make sure you don't \"nc reset\" or it will snap the arm off... not that i have experienced that or anything... :oops:
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mark,

It should not let you NC reset when this occurs. However my operater has hit the home key on the handheld which is a system overide. There is something so wrong with the feeling you get when you snap that first arm off. The second one doesn't hurt as bad.

Eric,

Make sure the tapers on your tool holders are clean. Sometimes this will cause them to stick.

Forrest
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hey guys, The safest way to get out of the arm stcking situation is this. First, press the e-stop in. Then, pull it back out. Next, press \"nc reset\" one time only. This should clear the e-stop and enable the machine. The next thing you do is use the hand held, or the control keyboard to move the z-axis 4 inches in the positive direction. As the z goes up the arm will flip back. Then you can do a full \"nc reset\" and start again.
Eric Montbriand

ATC issues

Thanks for the input however, the situation i'm refering to is way different. We've had tools stick and have had to raise Z up. Our rare problem happens just after the tool change or just before. After the tool is removed and the next tool has been succesfully put in the spindle, the Z axis will raise up and wait for the arm to retract. The arm does not retract, it will just sit there, no alarm.

I'm waiting for it to happen again so i can check the sensors as first suggested. We've had an arm get bent from being flung back. Our users manual says the machine comes with a list of inputs and outputs. I've never seen the list, im sure something like that would come in handy.

eric m
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

another thing to check would be your air pressures at each guage at the back of the gantry. i know that in our shop, we have had guys in for the past couple of weeks upgrading our compressed air lines and all sorts of other stuff, and i have had to tweak my pressure settings a couple of times to put them to where they should be. if you have low air pressure, that could effect the arms moving properly.
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

If the arm does not retract after the z axis goes up, it is probably a faulty solenoid, or a loose wiring connection on the solenoid. The air regulator that supplies the solenoid bank should be set to 80 psi. If the arm retracts too quickly, you may need to adjust the flow controls on the typewriter arm cylinder. When you adjust these, it is backwards from what you would think. You need to adjust the \"exhausting air\" side.
Jason McDaniel
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason McDaniel »

Hello Eric,

You cannot toggle the arms using the outputs but there is a program that will allow you to toggle the arms. This is also a diagnostic program so the next time the error occurs I would be interested in what this program has to say about the stuck arm. Before you run this program make sure the Z axis is up and clear of the arms. Then minimize the Thermwood software and double click on the MY COMPUTER icon. Open the C drive and locate and open a folder called SIEMPLC. There is a file named ATHALIGN.EXE. Double click on this file and it will bring up some options to choose from. You will want to choose to toggle arms. It should walk you through it when you get there. If you have any questions or problems running the program call me at 1 800 221 3865 ext. 236
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Carl,

You can check your sensors on your arms without waiting for it to happen again. If you go into Windows explorer and drive d: there will be a folder
named Siemens, if you open the folder there is a program that will let you toggle your arms. I don't know if I got the names or locations of this folder correct, maybe someone from Thermwood will chime in and tell you the exact location.

I had a similar problem when a year ago and this featured helped me solve it. It is also great for alignment of the arms if any adjustment ever needs made.

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services