Error while Nesting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Bill OConnell

Error while Nesting

Post by Bill OConnell »

We were trying to cut some drawer boxes that are notched in the back and also have a 1/4\" hole drilled in the back. I set this up in eCabinets using an Upper Frameless cabinet for my drawer box laying it on its back. I then took the back of the drawer box (cabinet top) into the Part Editor and cut the notches and the holes into the back of the piece. So far, so good. :D

I batched up a number of these drawer boxes and sent them to our CS45-510. In bringing them into Rolling Nest they looked fine, but when I went to nest it I got the following error, \"Proper diameter of tool for a rout operation was not found.\" This error came up about 90 times (determined by the number of times I clicked on okay). It then proceeded with the rest of the nesting. The nest looked okay and the notches were visible. I am guessing that the problem was in the holes. I don't know if the instruction from the Part Editor in e-Cabinets will tell Rolling Nest to drill a small hole (we have a 1/4\" bit defined for a drilling operation) or if it is telling it to dado the hole (we also have a 3/16\" bit defined for dadoeing and drilling).

I generated the CNC code and looked for any error messages, but could not find any. I assumed that the holes were skipped and I went ahead with my cutting operation. All the parts were properly cut. The notched pieces had a bar code for a flip operation. I reasoned that this was to apply the dado to the inside of the box, since in using the Part Editor I was working from the back of the piece. However, when it got to the end of the primary cutting operation, the program ended without asking for any flip operations.

Any thoughts, suggestons...? :?

CNC file, TWD file and eCabinet files are attached.
Attachments
PerilloDrawerBoxes.zip
Zip file of CNC, TWD, Job, and Cabinets
(573.46 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Woodworking the Way You Want It
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

I suspect the error is from the dado operation for the back. (drawer bottom) being cut into the drawer sides/front/back.

With the .48 material and .012 clearance, a .492 dado is being requested. This requires a tool between .246 and .492 in diameter and a dado/route operation set-up in rolling nest to use said tool.

Looking at the CNC code I see T7 was used to cut the dados and rolling nest appears to have assumed it's diameter to be .264\" (the dado passes are .228\" apart)

If T7's actual diamter is .25 then you got a dado .478 wide, and it might be a little snug. If it's 8mm then you got a .541\" wide dado and it might be a little sloppy.

I can't explain the lack of error messages in the CNC file.
I can't explain the bar codes on the labels and lack of flip operation code.
Both sound like unwanted features (bugs) to me.

What is the diameter of T7 in tool set-up?
What tools do you have set-up for dado/route operations in rolling nest for this material group? and what are thier diameters?

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

Dave,

As always, good insights.

I'm pretty sure the issue is not with the drawer bottom (cabinet back) because we have successfully cut that before. It was actually cutting that box that my cabinet guy came and asked if he could push the envelope by asking to notch and drill the back.

I don't have the documentaton with me, but I believe T7 is a 1/4\" two flute upshear bit.

I agree with some of the remaining unknowns:

1) The error message is rather generic and not specifying what specifically it doesn't like

2) The lack of error messages in the CNC code further obscures the issue.

3) The fact that it wrote the bar code for a nesting operation and then skipped the nesting is also puzzling.
Woodworking the Way You Want It