Rotary Playback unit

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Rotary Playback unit

Post by Mark Taylor »

I need some help with setting up the rotary playback - (I thought I knew what I was doing, but apparently not!)

When setting up my playback unit...I have to remove the spoil board and bolt it to the table. Since the spoil board is not there it would be difficult to get an accurate measurement for the z-shift from the spoil board to the center of the rotary playback. So I zeroed out the spoilboard in the M999 and proceeded to determine the tools daylight the same way as you would for the spoil board except I'm locating the center/front point of the headstock spur.

I proceeded to set up the rental program (I'm carving the renaissance table legs by the way) entered all the tool information, G52 ect. leaving the zshift @ 0 and started the program. After the machine finished the first complete (360 degree) roughing cut (which seemed to take some pretty substancial bites by the way) it started a second roughing pass (still with the 1/2 ballnose) at the end of the first pass the bit hit my tailstock...fortunantely I was standing right there and stopped it before it made a second pass...

I didn't receive a manual or any additional written information regarding the playback unit...so I'm a bit lost on what I've done wrong.

Help!
Mark
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Mark,

In order to get an accurate value to center of rotary devise, it usually works well to NC Reset machine, then use a flat endmill and touch on top of the Headstock spur and add the radius measurement of the spur piece to your z value shown on the handheld or in Teach Menu on control screen. This value would be your Daylight for tools being used to machine on rotary, the ZSHIFT should be set to zero. Also, if you are using the G52L# for x and y offsets, be sure the z value is blank and not zero. You may want to double check your z center (daylight) if this sounds similar to the way you've setup your tools.

FYI: If your interested, I can customized your tool measuring process which would allow you to select whether your measuring tools for rotary or flatwork, thus changing daylight to center of rotary or to top of spoil depending on your operations. Let me know if this is something that would be beneficial to you. (email: program@thermwood.com)
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Also... What rental carving where you trying to run.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Thanks Ryan...I didn't touch off the top of the headstock, but used a pointed veining tool to literally touch off the center headstock point. I guess that could leave some room for \"interpretation\" but certainly not enough for the tool to have hit the tail stock...at least I don't think so. I will go back and re-measuring using your method to see what the difference is, if any.

Regarding the G52L# - it was set up in the rental program and only asked for X & Y values...

Ryan it would be great to have the tool measuring process set up for flatwork or rotary. Thank you

Todd...I'm carving the renaissance table leg (the end legs)...the number is RP-RR-FN0001 I have the blank made up to the size required on the info sheet.

So...unless my method of measuring proves to be way off - I'm still looking for an answer as to why the tool came down into the tailstock. It hit the tailstock hard and probably at least a 1/2\" or more past the end of the material
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Okay guys...here are the numbers...

head stock dia = .936 / 2 = .468 R

Touch off top of head stock (1/4 end mill) = 3.554 + .468 R = 4.022

Touch off Tool Sensor = 8.42 - 4.022 center of head stock = 4.398

4.398 = zshift or entered into M999 = 0 zshift

The previous number entered into M999 = 4.413 or difference of .015 which unless I'm mixed up (quite possible) the new numbers are shifting the center down even further (?)

So - what have I missed?

Mark
Pete Riddle

Rotary Playback unit

Post by Pete Riddle »

Mark,

Give me a call here at Thermwood and I'll try to walk you through the set up. I would like you to verify that you are not getting the blank size and part size mixed up too.

1 800 221 3865

Thanks
Pete Riddle

Post by Pete Riddle »

A note on setups to anyone reading this thread. While the instructions on the setup sheets are meant to be written clearly, it is common for each of us to read things in a different way. Here are just a couple of things to double check during setup.

Offsets: When finding your X and Y offset points make sure you use the center of the headstock spur. Touching a tool off the face of the spur and then moving neagative the radius of the tool should give you the center line for the X. (This will be the same centerline as the end of your stock once it is set into the spur.) When finding the Y, using a liner tool and moving the tip of the tool to the tip of the spur point on the headstock should give you an accurate Y location.

Tool length: Tool length is critical and it is important that you follow any setup instructions carefully. Inspect each tool holder and collet before use for wear or damage. (This should be done regularly and not just for the purpose of using the rotary playback device.) Ensure that the daylight value for each tool is accurate. Again, daylight values should be measured to the center of the spur on the headstock.

As Ryan mentioned in a earlier post, if desired, we can modify a your tool length measuring system program to allow for both rotary length measurement and normal length measurement operations. That can be handled on a case by case basis. You may contact Ryan at program@thermwood.com.

Finally, if instructions for the setup of a particular part differ from the guidlines I have explained above you should differ to the setup instructions or contact us here at Thermwood for clarification before running the program.

Each carving rental program that is created is setup for ease of programing, so the setup may very from time to time.

Good Luck!